Staying down in fall

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Rules are what rules are. I think with the truncated spring/summer season, coaches are trying to let the girls have as much fun and success as they can in the fall. After taking their lumps as first-years, they probably feel like they earned the right to have a season as second-years before moving up in the spring.

It sucks for the younger team, but you can’t get mad at a team for playing in its age group.

Aug 3, 2019
Rules are what rules are. I think with the truncated spring/summer season, coaches are trying to let the girls have as much fun and success as they can in the fall. After taking their lumps as first-years, they probably feel like they earned the right to have a season as second-years before moving up in the spring.

It sucks for the younger team, but you can’t get mad at a team for playing in its age group.

Yah—-I never looked at it that way but I guess you are right.

As a team of 2009s, I guess we did technically have the option to stay down and play at the 10u level for these USA tournaments if we wished. Although, we’d then be quite unprepared for spring.

I guess it’s one of those where you have to decide if you want the wins or the development. The teams who stayed down and are beating up on the younger teams this fall today will likely be in a tough spot come spring.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
What sanctions are you seeing this with?

I have never seen this sort of thing in Indiana, in any sanction.

Agreed. As far as I can tell in Georgia, it's not allowed and thus not happening. My 2009 DD is playing against 2008 and 2009 birthdays in 12U, and my 2007 DD is playing against girls her age.

Sep 19, 2018
my dd is an 09. She just moved up to 12U. I can't imagine having her stay down and pitch to girls 2 years younger than her. I just don't see how that would be productive to anyone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28