what should we say?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
If your daughter is trying for JO in swimming then it seems that really needs to be the main priority for her health right? I get that she likes softball as well but Id have to imagine that most B/C teams are really happy to have a really good catcher on their team (even if she has to take it easier for a bit of time).

May 6, 2015
looking for feedback, names have been changed to protect the guilty ;)

update, after a couple of weekend tourneys where current coach slightly lessened her usage, and attending two practices for team X and one tryout/practice each for teams Y, Z, and T, we are at the following point:

offers from X, Y, Z and team W (coach is parent of previous teammate, created new team one year ago, pretty much has had standing offer from HC)

we turned down Z already, as this was new team forming in existing org with experience coach, actually her first offer, but team is not fully assembled yet, and geographically not a great fit. we wanted to let him know as soon as we were certain she was not going there.

team X is well known and locally respected org, no parent coaches, has recruiting coordinator on staff, kinda took it on chin this year, but most years competitive B team. All female staff (currently) as well. Founder runs their own indoor facility, which is used for rainy days/winter workouts (included in team fee). Pricey, but right about same as other no parent coach orgs in area that do indoor in winter as team. Also in winter has weekly P / C only practice (gotta ask if C actually practice their skills or just catching for Ps). Seem very Ok with two sport athletes. All teams are mix of ages, and coaches get reassigned periodically within org based on needs, so she can stay with org (as long as she keeps earning her spot) until she is done with TB. Team always tries to carry 2-3 Cs and they earn time based on performance.

team Y is in same org as she played in a year ago, left because team was aging up and DD was not, also some conflicts with HC of that team at time, HC is retiring from coaching, AC (whom we and DD love) from that team is HC of new team that is mostly DDs year, but will be moving to 16u one year from now, but current AC will keep 14u/2007 team going. team was pretty successful this year as B team. HC indicated DD will be #1 C, and be asked to help bring along #2 C (who is athletic but has not had a lot of C specific training, this delights DD, she loves teaching other kids things she has learned). no discussion of money yet, but certain will be about 30-50% less than team X

Team W was newly formed as C one year ago, did pretty well, placed in top 4 of a national C tournament, HC is parent of old teammate of DD (from team in same org as Y), so DW followed on social media, however, he is having some parent issues, was going to cut loose a couple of families because of this, now they are revolting and trying to steal rest of team out from under him. dont get that, as he is easy going, and team seemed pretty successful. becuase of the uncertainty, probably off the table. interesting, their backup if he cannot keep team together is team Y (they received offer at same tryout as DD). no discuission of money here either, but would assume finances would look a lot like team Y.

Team T is same team she was with two years ago, left on very good terms with HC, offered her a spot at the time, but who honestly at that point told us for more PT, especially behind plate, we should probably look elsewhere, DD still takes lessons from HC for catching and hitting. have not heard yet from team T, last tryout was supposed to be two nites ago, but most likely rained out (DD had attended earlier tryout). HC was definitely looking to add C. non parent HC, but ACs are parents, including of #1C, price about same as other non parent coached teams in this area. but again we have not heard anything, not certain if they rescheduled that rained out tryout

Geographically all similar to each other other than W, this is an extra 15 minutes away, so no deal breaker.

DD is having a real tough time making up her mind. DW and I have told her it is really up to her, we will help her, talk it through, but it really is her choice. $ wise we woud rather go with Team Y, but we will not tell her that (but she will figure it out), and we can make any of it work.

just really helps me to put it all down on "paper"

May 6, 2015
Silly season over for us, DD chose team Y, she is happy, now looking forward to one more weekend with current team, then a couple of weeks off. and former teammate from team W is also coming (sad though that her dad could not keep his team together, but he is going to be AC I believe, hopefully for hitting, his Dd hits really well).

Mar 13, 2017
DD is a catcher, has been having some shoulder pain throwing shoulder, Xray and trip to ortho, they do not see anything serious, but they describer her shoulder joint as loose. they want her to do PT for a month to strengthen some of the shoulder and back muscles. they did not shut her down completely, from softball or swimming, but want her to limit her throwing at practice (ie if catching, collect balls in bucket rather than return, etc.), no backstroke or butterfly at swim practice. KT tape for softball practice.

DD has to change teams this fall, as she must move up an age group, rest of team will stay where they are. DD went to this team last year, becuase we were in reverse situation, did not really find much weliked for her year, and we knew coach, and he expressly stated he wanted her to become a leader for team and he would help her develop that (and that has happend for the most part). we have 2-3 tourneys left (covid sucks, abbreviated "spring", etc.). Obviously we will inform her current coach of restrictions, which will basically last rest of this season.

Question is, how much do we disclose to prospective coaches, either at tryouts or in conversations (she might very well have a couple of coaches who will not require a tryout, they know her already). I think with the PT and reduced load it will be fine, but in September, if we are not seeing improvement, we will probably shut her down for 4-6 weeks other than PT. She absolutely wants no issues in winter, her last year to try for JO in swimming. I do not want to be deceptive, but on the other hand, it is fall, and the hope is we do not have to shut her down (we are coming off shutdown of almost three months ;)) I am just worried if they see a potential issue on the horizon, however far away, they may shy away. we are talking B or C level ball really.
Not your question but just curious. My sister had shoulder issues for a while but doctors said no problems as well. Have you had someone evaluate her arm path? The reason I ask is because coaches ask catchers to get rid of the ball quickly without showing/teaching them how to do so, and in my experience that leads to girls launching the ball with their shoulder causing the pain and injuries.

we used Covid as an opportunity to overhaul my sisters throwing mechanics and for the first time in years she’s throwing with little pain only soreness and has increased in velocity.

May 6, 2015
who would evaluate her arm path? she was taking some lessons from a previous coach for a while, but between covid and that instructors limited time, not certain when we can get back

Jul 16, 2018
I know the question is old but just IMO I wouldn’t have seen anything wrong with mentioning it. DD was a tryout where a kid was hurt but could do everything except throw.

As for arm path, DD used to complain about her arm hurting. Not sure how she picked it up, but she has this weird side arm where she dropped her elbow to throw and her chest was heading towards the sky.I showed her some vids and told her she just needs to play around and feel what works for you. Had her out on Monday and about took one off the forehead when she hit her slot and actually separated. Calling her Rowengarter from now on.

I really stopped trying to show her “how” to throw rather with getting her to think of the feel. Arm hurts then don’t do that. So lots of catch and then showing her how she can do it at home to burn that feel in. Its helped that I’ve allowed her to talk about boys while we’re doing this. She was more comfortable with small critiques.

Mar 13, 2017
who would evaluate her arm path? she was taking some lessons from a previous coach for a while, but between covid and that instructors limited time, not certain when we can get back
If you’re willing and have one you can always post a video here. I had elbow surgery myself when I was younger so correct throwing motions are my pet peeve.

May 6, 2015
just gets stranger and stranger, DW receives text the other night, from nearby A team, never had tried out for them, but have played them several times, they want DD as their C. child's head is getting way too big, ;) joked with coach of team she is joining that she is the hot FA it seems this signing period, needs to up his offer sheet! (of course she is staying with team she committed to and picked).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee