Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2023
There are 4 PGF level 12-u teams in our extended area. The 3 outside of our team only have 1 PGF quality pitcher, so they ride them into the ground - 300+ pitches on a Sunday is common. Sure they can handle it now, but what is the impact in 4-5 years.

Ironically, college girls usually pitch way less in a weekend, and Patty Gasso has talked about the importance of limiting innings during the regular season and using a staff. Storako said her workload at Michigan was too much.

May 17, 2012
Patty Gasso has talked about the importance of limiting innings during the regular season and using a staff.

That's like taking your car to a mechanic and asking if they can find anything wrong with it. College coaches are being paid large sums of money so of course they want their assets protected. Notice the pitch counts of some pitchers at the D1 level. They don't practice what they preach....

Jan 1, 2023
That's like taking your car to a mechanic and asking if they can find anything wrong with it. College coaches are being paid large sums of money so of course they want their assets protected. Notice the pitch counts of some pitchers at the D1 level. They don't practice what they preach....
Limiting the innings on her own team. She said the days of 200 innings in a season is done.

Jan 1, 2023
Not disagreeing but she has the luxury to be able to do that..At the youth level winning should be secondary. The same cannot be said at the college level.
How often in playoff games did college teams pitch their aces in back to back full games, not often. If colleges aren’t pitching adults 3 games in a weekend, why do travel teams pitch kids 3 games in a day who aren’t as strong or as mechanically sound?

Jun 8, 2016
How often in playoff games did college teams pitch their aces in back to back full games, not often. If colleges aren’t pitching adults 3 games in a weekend, why do travel teams pitch kids 3 games in a day who aren’t as strong or as mechanically sound?
Patty used Bahl a lot in the WCWS. I said I wasn’t disagreeing with you but if Patty or any other college coach didn’t trust a kid to get outs they wouldn’t be using them..In youth ball you should use what you have.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Have we figured out the logistics of who is going to do the monitoring? Require every team to have a game changer open to the authorities? With spot checks to make sure nobody is falsifying their game changers. Or maybe just an honor system. 😂

Apr 14, 2022
Not disagreeing but she has the luxury to be able to do that..At the youth level winning should be secondary. The same cannot be said at the college level.
Unfortunately I think winning becomes the priority way too young. I think that is the root cause. Coaches not willing to take a chance on losing with a pitcher when they have a better one.
I wonder if GameChanger is playing into this more, coaches not wanting a bad loss to show up?
DD team has some very good wins vs some of the top teams in the region/state. They also have a couple of very bad losses when letting a 4th or 5th pitcher in pool.
I am not sure if all coaches are willing to have a bad loss on GameChanger to develop a pitcher.

Jul 5, 2016
Patty used Bahl a lot in the WCWS. I said I wasn’t disagreeing with you but if Patty or any other college coach didn’t trust a kid to get outs they wouldn’t be using them..In youth ball you should use what you have.
True, but Patty was probably talking about not wearing out your best pitchers during the regular season. That way, they can handle a heavy load during the playoffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi