Why I chose not to play college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I work for a major tech company and over the years I have hired a large number of people and seen way, way too many resumes. Collegiate sports experience makes your resume stand out as opposed to someone with the same degree/experience you have and when you are looking at 100 similar resumes something that stands out is a big deal. It is a differentiator that can get you in the door (after that it is up to you).

Also the networking you can get from college sports can be hugely beneficial.
And god knows when you have a degree in early childhood development you need something on your resume that stands out. It's unfortunate. But many, not all but many college athletes are steered into degrees that will not support a career

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...We obsess on one thing at a time. School or sport; school or work. The switch is all the way on or off...

Having had the privilege to work beside and train some of the most dedicated and motivated individuals that have ever walked the planet, I can tell you what you describe is a common trait and a core value. It is called commitment. Only difference is that the switch is never truly off. There is always something requiring focus.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
..Girls on my team went on to play at D-1 schools all over the country, but I had proven to myself that I could play at this level, but chose not to.

Nothing against this young lady, but her statement is incorrect. She made a decision not to avail herself of a possible collegiate softball and there is nothing wrong with that. As to the question if she could have played at that level, it will remain forever unanswered. To suggest otherwise only sullies the accomplishments who have truly proven themselves capable.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Do any college students have jobs in college anymore? No. Do they think they can do athletics and education? Many say no, even though the length of college practice is exactly the same it has been since we were that young. And military students do it all the time. That is all my point is, and it is the parents not the kids that set this up for lives without balance. And yes the girl who is not playing softball in college is not motivated to play softball. Parents want the kids to get As so they don't want their minds or days taxed--it is them not me that makes this so, while they pay for everything. My kids have jobs in college,and pay for part of it.

It has nothing to do with weak minds, you stretch everything. It is mentally taxing to play with parental pressure, winning for HS, TB 60 games, and everyone watching you. That is all. It becomes a job and drama at 14 and if that part did not take so much energy, then this board would not be here...

If there is no burnout, then why isn't the girl playing in college? Why aren't there tons of fp leagues out there for adult women after college? Why aren't the players going on to coaching (although this is changing)?

I am done answering riseball because he breaks, right off the planet into outerspace.

Interesting comments from someone who truly is "Out in Left Field".

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
OILF - I'm not sure of the exact league - a google search brings up a few and it looks like it is indeed modified. Personally, I think co-ed slow pitch is just about the craziest, most suicidal game that one can play. Heck, when you have to limit the number of home runs allowed - yikes. I would be playing in the outfield as well, pretty much at the fence. My throw is epically horrible, which relegates me to the cheering squad, cold drink in hand :)

Just goes to show how talented and extraordinary all of our young fastpitch players are. They have a lot to be proud of, whether or not they continue their game in college.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My $.02 I coach/manage at several TB ages and the one thing that drives me nuts is the amount of 16/17/18 Year Olds that have jobs and miss games and practice. I tend not to recruit these players to my team. Some might not agree with that, but i'm not fielding a little league team i'm trying to get girls into college on an athletic scholarship and it's difficult to field a team when girls are working Saturdays.

Most of this thread brings to mind that athletes in college want to be paid. I am ok with this, however if they collect a "PAY CHECK" then they are inelligible for an Athletic Scholarship. Why? Because at $40K a year they are making the median income of some states and just shy of the median in others. College athletes should not be able to work during the academic year as this in the past especially in football has created several issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00