Why girls give up softball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You just now noticed that? :)

I have twins playing on my team. Both very sweet kids, but completely different personalities. Their dad is constantly trying to offer "advice" during games. The one twin becomes noticeably upset but does her best to try to hide it. The other doesn't seem affected by it at all. I asked her during one game how she was able to tune him out so effectively. Her response "Oh, did he say something to me? I didn't hear him". Just found it interesting how differently they handled the situation...

Jun 8, 2016
I have twins playing on my team. Both very sweet kids, but completely different personalities. Their dad is constantly trying to offer "advice" during games. The one twin becomes noticeably upset but does her best to try to hide it. The other doesn't seem affected by it at all. I asked her during one game how she was able to tune him out so effectively. Her response "Oh, did he say something to me? I didn't hear him". Just found it interesting how differently they handled the situation...

If she doesn't make it in softball can I get you to suggest to her a career in umpiring/refereeing? :cool:

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I had 2 things I said to my kids when they played. When they went to the plate I said "see a pitch you like and hit it hard" and if my dd was struggling pitching I would say "show them you". And that was it. No swing instructions. No pitching tips just 2 mantra hoping to put a positive thought in her mind. Some parents are their kids worst hecklers.

Aug 23, 2016
I had 2 things I said to my kids when they played. When they went to the plate I said "see a pitch you like and hit it hard" and if my dd was struggling pitching I would say "show them you". And that was it. No swing instructions. No pitching tips just 2 mantra hoping to put a positive thought in her mind. Some parents are their kids worst hecklers.

My new mantra for my kid is "You be you." She's struggling with a coach who seems to be doing his best to crush her confidence (I've talked to him, he says he'll change and he doesn't), and when he starts riding her about stupid things (like not being able to field a throw at 1B that was a good three feet over her head) and she hears me say, "You be you!" then she needs to remember the player she is and just show coach how awesome she can be even when he's being a butt.

Jun 12, 2015

It's interesting to see how different kids handle that kind of thing. My DD tunes it all out too. She doesn't hear hecklers or chants or parents or fans or anyone. I have no idea how she does it but I bet she'd be a great umpire someday, able to tune out everything from the other side of the fence.

Feb 17, 2014
It is interesting what goes through their minds. Last week she went 1-9 in 3 games hitting in the 4 hole leaving about 943748 runners left on base and she was ready to quit. I told her "Shake it off. You've gone 1 for 9 in 3 games in a tournament before. You'll be fine." She replies back "This is different! This matters!"

Feb 26, 2012
Indiana
Our high school senior 6-hole hitter went 0-for in a 4 game stretch. She is a decent hitter, batting about .350 the last 2 years. After the the 5th game, she is drilling me with questions...should I move up in the box, am I pulling my head, should I use a lighter bat, etc. I ask her what her favorite flavor of ice cream is...she bewilderedly answers "vanilla". So I told her to think of vanilla ice cream the next time she steps in the box. She stares straight at me and says "OK, but I think I should only swing at strikes too". I said "Fine, think about vanilla ice cream & strikes". She is 3 for 8 in our last 2 games...and has a smile on her face every at-bat as she thinks about ice cream & strikes.

Things like the above only work on certain types of kids. This kid is an over-thinker, that is hard on herself, but has a very sweet and innocent disposition. If my catcher has slump, I do not give her the same advice. She is too serious and would just blow me off with an eye roll like I am an idiot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad