Why girls give up softball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My observations pretty much echo what others have already said. From my experience with my own kids and a few players I have coached along the way...

DD1 (now 19yo) - Played rec ball from 8U-14U. Played HS ball as a freshman, but also made the cheer team. As a soph, she realized she couldn't do both, and picked cheer. She set a goal of becoming Team Captain as a senior, which she accomplished, but it wasn't enjoyable. After graduating HS, she told me she wished she had stayed with softball.

DD2 - Started playing rec at 8U, moved to TB in 10U, and is still playing at 14U. She has a goal of playing college ball. We have told her many times that if she decides to quit the sport, we support that decision. So far, her dedication to doing the work, and enjoyment of the sport, are staying solid. She's not super excited about playing HS ball because the team is historically terrible, but she will enjoy playing with some of her friends. We will see what happens in HS, but I think she's going to be okay.

Player 1 - Outstanding young athlete, and top-level rec player in 8U and 10U. Moved to TB, and lasted less than a year before quitting due to the high demands of the team's schedule and performance pressure. (IMO, parents picked the wrong team for her personality). She's now playing club soccer and thriving.

Player 2 - Good catcher. Moved to TB in 12U with her best friend (a pitcher), and adapted pretty well. At 14U, hitting started to really struggle, and her enjoyment of the game faded. She's currently playing club volleyball on a very good team, and doing well.

Player 3 - Joined our TB team as a first-year 12U player coming from 10U rec all-stars. She had the potential to be a very powerful hitter, but struggled to adapt to the faster speeds of the game. Parents had her with a million different hitting instructors, and was in a constant state of adaptation to a new approach. Parents pulled her from the team mid-season, claiming we ruined her hitting, but never seeming to grasp the concept that 12U TB isn't the same as 10U rec ball. Last I heard, she isn't playing sports.

Player 4 - #2 pitcher in DD's 12U TB team last summer. Hard worker, gritty competitor, and a solid player, but was never going to be an elite pitcher. She's also a competitive swimmer. At the end of the summer season, she decided to quit pitching due to feeling way over-loaded by the training demands of two high-level sports. A short time later, she pulled the plug on softball completely, deciding to put all of her focus on swimming.

Player 5 - Very talented 13yo TB player. She has been bounced around from team to team to team by her dad. She hates that he keeps moving her. He's also a yeller, and it affects her attitude on the field. She's still playing, but I won't be surprised if she quits just to escape his behavior.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
From the many remarks here...seem most that quit are tied to having no fun. For many diff reasons, whether its parents that think their dd is going to be
the next Jennie Finch or Chamberlain or whoever, and they push until its no fun for the kid. Or the hours and hours of personal coaching and they just
feel like its more of a job than game. Or that they aren't as good at the new levels as they were when they were younger.

My take on this always has been, keep it fun...it is a game and they are kids.

Nov 3, 2012
From the many remarks here...seem most that quit are tied to having no fun. For many diff reasons, whether its parents that think their dd is going to be
the next Jennie Finch or Chamberlain or whoever, and they push until its no fun for the kid. Or the hours and hours of personal coaching and they just
feel like its more of a job than game. Or that they aren't as good at the new levels as they were when they were younger.

In a sort of general way, you really hit it on the head. It has to be fun. Our #1 rule for softball is to keep it fun, you'll play better. That's can be harder that it sounds. My DD is a Junior and had as I look back at her travel teams, I see a lot of her former teammates and friends not playing anymore. And it comes down to a lot of reasons mentioned aleady: boys, jobs, partying, not good enough, money or its just not fun spending so many summer fall weekends at travel tournaments.

The disparity in High school teams is an enigma also. My DD team is stacked and I some good travel players just on the outside of the bubble who don't make the cut or just don't get much playing time., and result hang up the cleats. But then I look as some of the team we play are so bad, that good travel players don't go out for those teams because they get clobbered, so they also quit.
Anyway, at 12- 13 years old, most girls have a dream of being a D1 player. By the time you're 17, that dream is long gone for most girls.

Jun 19, 2013
Is TB designed to have kids drop out? If so, how?

I am just curious if there are signs a parent might notice well in advance, that their daughter might be likely to drop out, or just the opposite, that they are likely to continue with it.

I would say that a major sign would be if she doesn't like to work hard at it. Because if you are making her go to practice and work that is not going to get easier down the road, that is going to get harder. I may have to suggest it but once I do mine is going to change and loading up the car to go to the field. Or asking someone to catch for her. They have to enjoy the work if they are going to keep up with it.

For our situation I would say that bad coaching is her #1 temptation for quitting. Grown folks who are supposed to be leading but who act like little kids and treat the players badly have just about ruined it for her a few times already.

But secondly I think realizing that she is just good at it and not going to be playing in college has caused her to consider how much longer to keep pushing. As the teams at 16/18u are almost all aimed at getting kids into college it has become harder to find a group who wants to compete without traveling all over the country.

Apr 28, 2014
Good buddy of mine has a very athletic kid.. She's 15.. She's got great size and speed and loves the game. She's struggling with hitting and her father asked me what I thought about her swing. I asked him who her hitting coach was.. He said "I'm her hitting coach".
I tried to talk him into going to a professional as he can afford it.
Nope... We'll see what happens now. :(

May 24, 2013
So Cal

The definition of "fun" differs from player to player. Some just want to hang out with their friends. Some thrive on the work required to be successful at higher levels, and live for the battle on the field. I agree that the game needs to remain fun, but we (parents) need to be able to assess what makes it fun for them.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I went to see my great nephew play baseball yesterday. LL, machine pitch. The kids only get so many pitches and if they don't put it in play within that number of pitches or if they swing and miss 3 times they are out.

Since I had absolutely zero investment in this game, other then wanting my nephew to do well, I noticed things I didn't notice before. Like how many parents have no freaking idea what they are talking about and how often they are willing to instruct their kids during an at bat. One parent was yelling for his kids attention and wanting him to move his feet, by the time the kid processed what dad was saying and began to move his feet the pitch was on the way. That kid gave dad the stink eye his whole walk back to the dugout.

Maybe it is parents who drive kids away from sports.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
I went to see my great nephew play baseball yesterday. LL, machine pitch. The kids only get so many pitches and if they don't put it in play within that number of pitches or if they swing and miss 3 times they are out.

Since I had absolutely zero investment in this game, other then wanting my nephew to do well, I noticed things I didn't notice before. Like how many parents have no freaking idea what they are talking about and how often they are willing to instruct their kids during an at bat. One parent was yelling for his kids attention and wanting him to move his feet, by the time the kid processed what dad was saying and began to move his feet the pitch was on the way. That kid gave dad the stink eye his whole walk back to the dugout.

Very often it is the parents. You have to have a balance, push them, but not too hard. We have a dad on our team that is an "instructor" he doesn't do it as much this year but last year it was laughable. His DD is one of our pitchers. He instructs her on almost every pitch; "keep your head back", "keep your arm up", "remember to snap", "finish your pitch" etc. He also has her change pitching coach on a bi-annual basis, so she is always learning something new, we (including him) call her "The Process" as a nickname.

Jun 12, 2015
The definition of "fun" differs from player to player. Some just want to hang out with their friends. Some thrive on the work required to be successful at higher levels, and live for the battle on the field. I agree that the game needs to remain fun, but we (parents) need to be able to assess what makes it fun for them.

YES. This is why it's so great there are so many different levels of play. And it's 100% fine and dandy to have a kid who couldn't care less about being the next Jennie Finch and just wants to play ball. That seems to be where things get really bad, when the parents want their kids to be someone they're not.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Since I had absolutely zero investment in this game, other then wanting my nephew to do well, I noticed things I didn't notice before. Like how many parents have no freaking idea what they are talking about and how often they are willing to instruct their kids during an at bat.

You just now noticed that? :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00