Why do some coaches think they need to cheat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
You guys are right, I apologize. It does differ from region to region. For what it's worth, the USSSA tournaments I've attended are run by great directors who are in it for the kids and for softball before anything else. They're well run and I really enjoy that the website is updated in near real time with brackets and scores. By contrast, even the biggest ASA tournaments I'm often waiting for a phone call at 10pm to figure out if my team has to play at 7am the next morning.

-W

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Must not be from GA, a team down here did that very same thing and USSSA disqualified them and they had to forfeit the rest of the tournament.

That team has since disbanded, WONDER WHY?? LOL!

Feb 16, 2012
Our team emailed the state director and I am not sure what he is doing about it. We received an email from our head coach asking parents to stop emailing the state director "he got the message". The state director emailed me this morning stating the coach was handling it. I texted him last night and haven't heard back from him so I have no clue what is going on.

The other side of this disturbs me too. The amount of parents saying don't punish the kids because of the adults. Unfortunately that happens, it's in the rules. What these parents don't get is that the girls were going around bragging about having in illegal player on their team. They knew it was wrong and thought it was ok. I guess it goes with the upbringing. Once I know the final outcome I will post again.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Our team emailed the state director and I am not sure what he is doing about it. We received an email from our head coach asking parents to stop emailing the state director "he got the message". The state director emailed me this morning stating the coach was handling it. I texted him last night and haven't heard back from him so I have no clue what is going on.

The other side of this disturbs me too. The amount of parents saying don't punish the kids because of the adults. Unfortunately that happens, it's in the rules. What these parents don't get is that the girls were going around bragging about having in illegal player on their team. They knew it was wrong and thought it was ok. I guess it goes with the upbringing. Once I know the final outcome I will post again.

What do you and the other parents think a just punishment should be?

It's bigger than a dirt bag softball coach or two. The news is full of exectuives that cheat, politicians, it goes on and on. It's a larger societal thing, but it's especially pathetic when somebody is cheating in a 12U girls softball league. That's just sad.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
One thing, having another daughter that plays tournament soccer, I have thought roster rules in every softball org are lax. Soccer, your daughter must turn in a player card before every season. 15 min before every game each player's card they bring must match the ref's roster sheet, that has a copy of the player card turned in pre season.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
One thing, having another daughter that plays tournament soccer, I have thought roster rules in every softball org are lax. Soccer, your daughter must turn in a player card before every season. 15 min before every game each player's card they bring must match the ref's roster sheet, that has a copy of the player card turned in pre season.

Yes, soccer is much tighter IME w/ DS's premiere team. I think its to ensure that everyone that signed up gets their trophy.

Feb 16, 2012
According to USSSA rules the teams forfiets the tournament and loses any berths, sponsoship money and trophies they would have earned.
The regional director called our coach and asked him what all the emails were about. They had a conversation that went no where. He then had another conversation with the state director that ended with "I guess I need to have better communication with the local rep". So in essence it went no where and nothing will be done. I really didn't think anything would be done but maybe...just maybe...he will review his actions and make some changes. Fingers aren't crossed or holding my breath.
Thanks to all who commented.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi