Which one would go farther?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
None.

"A good part of the reason why this happens is that it takes time for a vibration impulse to travel from the impact location to the handle and back again. Measurements and computer models show that the collision between bat and ball is over before the bat handle has even begin to vibrate and the ball has left the bat before it even knows the handle exists. Finally, experimental evidence comparing the effect of different grip conditions on resulting batted-ball speed conclusively shows that the manner in which the handle is gripped has no affect on the performance of the bat. "

Were the measurements taken on a ball that hits the sweet spot or on balls that miss the sweet spot?

Everyone tries to hit the sweet spot.

The last time I was at the yard there were more balls that didnt hit the sweet spot than balls that did. In an average day at the yard, would you say more balls are squared up than not?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
None x 2. Ian- no one is being enlightened on either side of this thing so just teach your player(s) a GI Joe kung foo grip and let's
Move on to face masks or riseballs.

That's right D&D and Sublime referenced in the same thread...

Im being enlightened. If you arent, feel free to hit the road jack(dont know who sings that tune).

It seems to me that if Hunter threw(released from his hands) his bat at the ball and the ball hit the handle, the bat wouldnt break to the extent it did. It might not break at all.

Do you think the Illinois players bat would flex the same if she had thrown the bat? Seems to me if the players hands wernt on the bat the head of the bat would slow down but the handle would continue forward.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Im being enlightened. If you arent, feel free to hit the road jack(dont know who sings that tune).

It seems to me that if Hunter threw(released from his hands) his bat at the ball and the ball hit the handle, the bat wouldnt break to the extent it did. It might not break at all.

Do you think the Illinois players bat would flex the same if she had thrown the bat? Seems to me if the players hands wernt on the bat the head of the bat would slow down but the handle would continue forward.

Read, Ian, read; don't just look at the pictures and make intuitive guesses! The hands only influence impact/batted ball distance when the ball is struck a very short distance from the handle i.e., on the taper of the bat. The hands do not influence balls hit on the barrel, whether on, near or far from the sweetspot or even on the end cap, because the impact wave travel time to the hands is far longer than the time that the ball is on the bat. And, in case you don't follow through on your reading homework, the bat bending in the photo is due to impact vibration (think acoustics, music instruments, sound waves etc.) and completely independent of whether the bat is being held or not! (It does look cool though and that's what's happening in my DD avy pic)

Nov 9, 2013
The distance the ball is hit should be the same, but the hitter who is "all arms" will be less consistent than the hitter who uses the entire body. This scenario is not very realistic, because if a hitter is effectively using her body to hit, then her bat speed will be much higher.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just because....
Pablo_2012WS_XMO.gif

2012WS_XMO_Blanco.gif

2012WS_XMO_Miggy_brokenbat.gif

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Read, Ian, read; don't just look at the pictures and make intuitive guesses! The hands only influence impact/batted ball distance when the ball is struck a very short distance from the handle i.e., on the taper of the bat. The hands do not influence balls hit on the barrel, whether on, near or far from the sweetspot or even on the end cap, because the impact wave travel time to the hands is far longer than the time that the ball is on the bat. And, in case you don't follow through on your reading homework, the bat bending in the photo is due to impact vibration (think acoustics, music instruments, sound waves etc.) and completely independent of whether the bat is being held or not! (It does look cool though and that's what's happening in my DD avy pic)

Right on. Can you send me the link where you learned that a ball hit on the end of the bat contacts the bat for the same amount of time as one hit on the sweet spot? I promise Ill read it! I ASSumed the ball would leave the bat faster if it hit the sweet spot.

Thanks GM

Apr 28, 2015
and lastly...Dr. Nathan (POBGUY)...dropping knowledge at DFP and again showing amazing patience.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/18090-hand-action-contact-5.html

So on the one side we have physicists, engineers, the testing body that certifies bats, ESPN and presumably God himself and on the other side we have "it don't make no cotton pickin sense"...choose wisely.

I read the entire "hand action at contact" thread and learned a ton. But it seems it got derailed and FFS never finished the discussion of the top hand. Is this covered somewhere else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 20, 2012
In baseball and softball it matters how you grip the bat. A stronger grip at contact is desirable.

good god you are a broken record!! so do pga golfers squeeze the club for dear life?? no and it is no different than baseball or softball swing. you use enough pressure to control the bat or club any more is wasted energy and restricts muscle movement

Effect on Ball Flight
In his book “My Golden Lessons” Jack Nicklaus suggests that golfers who suffer from a chronic slice--a ball flight that goes from left to right rather than straight--may be holding the club too tightly with the right hand. As the club head nears the ball, this tight grip pressure prevents the proper release or rotation of the hands. At impact, the club face remains open, aimed to the right, and the shot is likely to bend from left to right more than the golfer would want. Even reducing grip pressure slightly can allow the golfer to have the proper release required to straighten out his shots.
Effect on Length
Gripping the club too tightly can prevent a golfer from generating maximum club head speed, resulting in lost power and reduced shot distance. Overly tight grip pressure causes tension to build in the forearms and shoulders, which can restrict the golfer’s swing arc. Make sure your grip pressure is firm but not too tight, and that your shoulders are relaxed prior to beginning your swing.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
good god you are a broken record!! so do pga golfers squeeze the club for dear life?? no and it is no different than baseball or softball swing. you use enough pressure to control the bat or club any more is wasted energy and restricts muscle movement

Effect on Ball Flight
In his book “My Golden Lessons” Jack Nicklaus suggests that golfers who suffer from a chronic slice--a ball flight that goes from left to right rather than straight--may be holding the club too tightly with the right hand. As the club head nears the ball, this tight grip pressure prevents the proper release or rotation of the hands. At impact, the club face remains open, aimed to the right, and the shot is likely to bend from left to right more than the golfer would want. Even reducing grip pressure slightly can allow the golfer to have the proper release required to straighten out his shots.
Effect on Length
Gripping the club too tightly can prevent a golfer from generating maximum club head speed, resulting in lost power and reduced shot distance. Overly tight grip pressure causes tension to build in the forearms and shoulders, which can restrict the golfer’s swing arc. Make sure your grip pressure is firm but not too tight, and that your shoulders are relaxed prior to beginning your swing.

Golf is a fun sport.

Edit: sorry forgot to answer your question. No, PGA players do not grip the life out of the club. Never heard of a golfer breaking his hamate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez