Which one would go farther?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Disagreeing with something because you have an opposing viewpoint that can be backed up by information is one thing. Blindly just saying no when overwhelming information is presented is actually more akin to drinking the kool aid, the only difference is you mixed it yourself.

I was not really disagreeing. Just asking the questions. Unfortunately very few received an actual answer.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
He said "stiffer the better"...don't get all sensitive with me, I didn't mean you were actually a zombie, I was only saying that your ability to grasp new concepts was zombie LIKE, I am sure you don't actually eat human flesh and walk slowly while grunting. Well...actually I am just sure you don't eat human flesh.

LOL Last drink and then its time to log off and go to bed. Or maybe have some more and see if anyone at HI wants to come out and play?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I was not really disagreeing. Just asking the questions. Unfortunately very few received an actual answer.

That is why I provided all the links, these same conversations have been had multiple times and Dr Nathan's answers are far more well explained than mine. You came a little late to this party, this thread actually started in the hitting forum a while back and rolled over here. GM, a few others and I answered many questions as best we could but for some reason it's not getting across, so I'm just sending people to the source now and they can do what they want with the info.

Dec 20, 2012
What? Maybe compared to a RIF.

SP 275-300#
FP 350# (JUCO), 375# (ASA,NFHS) 400# (NCAA)

ASA only has 2 levels of compression in softball, 375 and 525. When you get in beer leagues you get into microwaved balls, shaved rolled loaded bats. When you are talking about non-sanctioned leagues and tournaments that are very loose with rule enforcement then no telling what kind of equipment is being used.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
ASA only has 2 levels of compression in softball, 375 and 525. When you get in beer leagues you get into microwaved balls, shaved rolled loaded bats. When you are talking about non-sanctioned leagues and tournaments that are very loose with rule enforcement then no telling what kind of equipment is being used.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/News/2013/January/22/ASA-BALL-RULE-CHANGE.aspx

At the ASA Council Meeting in November 2012, the ASA Council voted to change the ball used in Slow Pitch Championship Play for some divisions of play. The rule change is as follows:

Rule 3 Section 3E [3]: EFFECTIVE 2014: The 52/300 12 inch ball will be the only 12” ball allowed in Men’s Adult Slow Pitch, Men’s Co-ed, Men’s Master’s Slow Pitch and Junior Olympic Boys Slow Pitch, with the exception of Seniors.

Comments: Removes the 44/375 12” ball as an approved ball for all Men’s Adult Slow Pitch, Men’s Co-ed, Men’s Master’s Slow Pitch and Junior Olympic Boys Slow Pitch Championship Play beginning January 1, 2014.

Any questions or comments regarding this matter should be directed to Craig Cress at 2801 N.E. 50th Street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73111 email ccress@softball.org, phone (405) 425-3441, fax (405) 424-3855.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
You said "Stationary bat vs speeding ball is the same as stationary ball vs speeding bat." Could you elaborate on YOUR thought? Drop some knowledge on me. You do a great job of parroting other people, but I dont believe you can think your way out of a paper bag.

Why can't you drop some knowledge on yourself? All of the information from credible sources has been linked to.

This discussion is like a title fight where the facts have won by TKO. You keep trying to get up for a fourth time and you don't realize the fight is already over.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Bye Bye, Miss American Troll
Drove me to the brink and I started to cry.
The good ole boys were sitting wondering why
Singing, time for this stupid thread to die
Time for for this stupid thread to die.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Ian-I will try one last time to bring you back from the undead...

the collision properties do not change with direction...the bat is the bat and the ball is the ball, the COR is the COR and the efficiency of the energy transfer is also the same. It does not change with direction. If you can accept that then you can then make the leap to the fact that the mass of the bat has diminishing returns as the relative velocity increases between the two objects, there needs to be a certain amount of mass to maintain the collision, but additional mass above this become basically useless-essentially the properties of the collision and the velocity start to swamp the M part of MV (momentum) to the point where the M just doesn't matter, just the V and the physical characteristics of the objects (COR etc.). Do you think a one ton bat would hit a ball half as far as a two ton bat at the same swing speed? no, it wouldn't, at some point that mass loses it's effect and the relative velocities of the objects and the PHYSICAL characteristics of the collision are the only things to consider.
My take on all of this is that for THIS system, wood bat/ baseball that this takeover occurs at such a point that the ball fired at the bat or the bat swinging at the ball at equivalent velocities are basically the same. So a bat swung at 80 mph a stationary ball is the same as a ball fired at a stationary ball at 80 mph or a bat swung at 75mph at a ball fired at 5 mph. In effect, the momentum/inertia/physical makeup of THIS SYSTEM is such that the experiment is valid. That is what I think the whole point of the experiment is.

At slower speeds, my guess is the mass starts to matter a lot again and the results would be quite different.

I could be wrong, but that is how I interpret all of the data and papers.

here is another one

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Publications/NathanCrisco-SportsEng.pdf