Which one would go farther?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thanks JJ. Much closer to civil discussion.

So if the ball hits the sweet spot, grip doesnt matter much. Got it. If the ball doesnt hit the sweet spot, grip becomes very important.

Here is a real world series example of my hypothesis.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RmXOZtNjOew

grip doesn't matter AT ALL for a sweet spot hit...your description of a handle hit is correct though.... because the round trip time is so diminished, You can see this with strong hitters all the time, they can put handle hits into the outfield but weaker hitters can't. the entire discussion up until now has centered around longest hits...ie sweet spot....but as you change that collision point things change drastically.

but don't accuse me of being civil.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
grip doesn't matter AT ALL for a sweet spot hit...your description of a handle hit is correct though.... because the round trip time is so diminished, You can see this with strong hitters all the time, they can put handle hits into the outfield but weaker hitters can't. the entire discussion up until now has centered around longest hits...ie sweet spot....but as you change that collision point things change drastically.

Don't worry, I am sure he fat fingered evil. Your rep is intact. :)

ian

Jun 11, 2015

In baseball and softball it matters how you grip the bat. A stronger grip at contact is desirable.

May 17, 2012
Baseball-Bat Collision Images

Look at the pic of the Illinois player hitting it off the end. What role do the hands play in that picture?

None.

"A good part of the reason why this happens is that it takes time for a vibration impulse to travel from the impact location to the handle and back again. Measurements and computer models show that the collision between bat and ball is over before the bat handle has even begin to vibrate and the ball has left the bat before it even knows the handle exists. Finally, experimental evidence comparing the effect of different grip conditions on resulting batted-ball speed conclusively shows that the manner in which the handle is gripped has no affect on the performance of the bat. "

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
None x 2. Ian- no one is being enlightened on either side of this thing so just teach your player(s) a GI Joe kung foo grip and let's
Move on to face masks or riseballs.

That's right D&D and Sublime referenced in the same thread...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan