Which one would go farther?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Ok. So then explain why are we not seeing 400ft plus bombs in men's FP. The men's FP fence is not much deeper than the women's FP fence and substantially shorter than what is common in SP (300ft and up). Do the men in FP swing that much slower than their counterparts in SP?
Slow pitch players are swinging for the fences against a slow pitched ball with an arc while in FP they are trying to be shorter to the ball to make good contact and swinging for line drives against a ball with movement and little arc.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
JJ, I don't have a problem with using my "intuitive" self. I have an extensive coaching resume in both baseball and softball. I've coached baseball internationally for our country. I've had players with incredible bat speed that could not hit a home run if they tried. As I have often said, my dd is not a natural athlete. Still, she was recruited to hit. That is what every college coach told us and none cared what position she played. She was said to have tremendous bat speed when she was being recruited. She wasn't really a home run hitter prior to college though I admit she did hit some. What changed in college? He muscle mass. She became ripped in college. I doubt that this made her bat speed any faster. However, it did make her more powerful. I taught my dd to hit differently than most people. We were highly criticized for the method we chose. The point of that philosophy was to hit the ball with the core of the body. I wish I could link one of the newspaper articles written about her by the local newspaper but they aren't on line. In the article, the coach talks about how practices stopped when BB went to hit. Everyone wanted to watch her drive the ball. In fact, they had a problem because some of the girls had to go stand on the other side of the snake pit to field these balls and no one wanted to do that. Coach said it was her core and how strong she became that enabled her to do that.

Finally, and you all can believe whatever you want to believe because I know better than to discuss hitting here, if you believe that then stop all other efforts and teach your dds to have the fast bat speed around. You have the answer to high level D-I athletics and national records.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
JJ, I don't have a problem with using my "intuitive" self. I have an extensive coaching resume in both baseball and softball. I've coached baseball internationally for our country. I've had players with incredible bat speed that could not hit a home run if they tried. As I have often said, my dd is not a natural athlete. Still, she was recruited to hit. That is what every college coach told us and none cared what position she played. She was said to have tremendous bat speed when she was being recruited. She wasn't really a home run hitter prior to college though I admit she did hit some. What changed in college? He muscle mass. She became ripped in college. I doubt that this made her bat speed any faster. However, it did make her more powerful. I taught my dd to hit differently than most people. We were highly criticized for the method we chose. The point of that philosophy was to hit the ball with the core of the body. I wish I could link one of the newspaper articles written about her by the local newspaper but they aren't on line. In the article, the coach talks about how practices stopped when BB went to hit. Everyone wanted to watch her drive the ball. In fact, they had a problem because some of the girls had to go stand on the other side of the snake pit to field these balls and no one wanted to do that. Coach said it was her core and how strong she became that enabled her to do that.

Finally, and you all can believe whatever you want to believe because I know better than to discuss hitting here, if you believe that then stop all other efforts and teach your dds to have the fast bat speed around. You have the answer to high level D-I athletics and national records.

so you are saying that all that extra strength she obtained did NOT add to her bat speed at contact or the ability to swing a heavier bat at an equivalent speed? All it did was let her muscle the ball for that magic 1 ms of contact?

I read your post as just generally saying that your observations are so accute and ingrained that you didn't bother with looking at the data. That's fine, but it's hard to learn new things when the old stuff is clinging on so strongly.

Reminds me of the movie Moneyball where all the old schoolers are dead set against sabermetrics because they just know a good ball player when they see one.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
JJ, that stuff on Nathan's site has been around for a very long time. I have read his website.

Are you saying that my experience in coaching for over 30 years of my life is meaningless? I'll leave this stuff up to you guys that know better.

Edited to add:

Actually, it is 40+ years. Wasted.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
JJ, that stuff on Nathan's site has been around for a very long time. I have read his website.

Are you saying that my experience in coaching for over 30 years of my life is meaningless? I'll leave this stuff up to you guys that know better.

Edited to add:

Actually, it is 40+ years. Wasted.

you sure are an ornery old cuss:). How do you go from me disagreeing with you on a single topic to me saying your experience is worthless? I think you are dead wrong on this topic but have a lot of valuable knowledge in many areas. do you think your experience means you know everything and are right on everything? hell-I have a lot more life experience than my kids and they still teach me things almost daily.

so if you read the info, what about it do you think is flawed?

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
Swing speed is only a contributor to how far the ball goes. Look at golf. Swing speed is certainly a contributing factor to driving distance, but it is not the sole factor. The same holds true to softball.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I think the study said 3 hitters. I don't know the number of swings they took, could probably count the data points to find out though. How does that invalidate the results though?

4 batters participated. 14 swung bat data points. Did 2 batters swing 3 times each and the other 2 batters swing 4 times? Interesting that two of the batters were around 70mph and two of the batters were at 85mph(is this about right for semi pro and college players). Never mind the fact that bat speed is being represented as ball speed on the chart.

Any guesses as to why he didnt clamp a bat and add that to the data collection?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild