Which one would go farther?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm not a physicist, but assuming they let go at contact they would go the same distance, but since they hold on to the bat there has to be something to which hitter
is able to withstand the force at impact. I have to believe the resistance offered by the hitter makes a difference in how far the ball goes. I'll use the example of a boxer. I'm
guessing that most fighters at a high level throw the punches at the same speed, but the ones who have more mass force behind them will do more damage.

I may be crazy but I see it often when a fast pitcher pitchers the weaker kids can't hold the bat strong enough at impact and you see a lot of weak grounders.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I'm not a physicist, but assuming they let go at contact they would go the same distance, but since they hold on to the bat there has to be something to which hitter
is able to withstand the force at impact. I have to believe the resistance offered by the hitter makes a difference in how far the ball goes. I'll use the example of a boxer. I'm
guessing that most fighters at a high level throw the punches at the same speed, but the ones who have more mass force behind them will do more damage.

I may be crazy but I see it often when a fast pitcher pitchers the weaker kids can't hold the bat strong enough at impact and you see a lot of weak grounders.

You haven't been reading up on this thread have you? http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/24818-batted-ball-distance.html

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Im gonna need scientific proof that dropping a pound of feathers on my head is going to hurt less than getting hit with a pound of bricks. Anyone want to help with the experiment?

I noticed my DD wasnt following through with her swing after contact and was concerned. Then I learned that she is so efficient at transfering energy from the bat to ball that her swing speed drops to nothing. Now all I need to do is get her to keep a 10 degree bat angle and her hands above the letter high fastballs while still driving the ball through the right center gap.

May 17, 2012
LOL You cannot be serious.

"... My conclusion is that the batter's grip during the brief time the ball and bat are in contact does not influence what happens to the ball. I even conclude that the batter could let go of the bat just prior to impact and it won't influence what happens to the ball (as in the Frazier home run). That conclusion is counter-intuitive to lots of people but it is based on pretty sound science. ... "

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...l/18090-hand-action-contact-5.html#post229292

This has been discussed at length.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
"... My conclusion is that the batter's grip during the brief time the ball and bat are in contact does not influence what happens to the ball. I even conclude that the batter could let go of the bat just prior to impact and it won't influence what happens to the ball (as in the Frazier home run). That conclusion is counter-intuitive to lots of people but it is based on pretty sound science. ... "

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...l/18090-hand-action-contact-5.html#post229292

This has been discussed at length.

So you are saying there is absolutely no, none, nada, zip transfer of energy from the athletes body. All that matters is the weight and speed of the bat at impact. Correct?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi