Which glove to buy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 11, 2013
Thanks! I wasn't sure if 12.5" would be too clunky for pitching. Staying with one glove would definitely be my preference.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks! I wasn't sure if 12.5" would be too clunky for pitching. Staying with one glove would definitely be my preference.

CircleTime, what size is your 13 year old DD? The reason I ask is if she's a small 13yo I "might" worry about the weight more than the size. Although I consider Vinci's to be somewhat light, especially for their quality! The RV1961 probably wouldn't be my first choice for middle infield but for pitching and outfield, it'd be an excellent choice! For me being an old 51yo dad, the 1961 would be an excellent infielders glove for slow pitch, can I say slow pitch here??? Greenmonsters has already fussed at me for saying passed ball in the catchers forum!

Nov 11, 2013
She's small, about 5'2" and 110#, but still growing. Current glove is a ratty old Wilson 12" with a closed web.

She does like the look of both the 1961 and the 1929, with a slight preference for the closed web of the 1929. At least she has accepted the need for a new one, even if she doesn't want it. (Also, as a former catcher, we prefer "wild pitch".)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
1929 would be an excellent choice, especially if she already likes a basket/closed web! Plus dual welting for tight finger stalls and NO velcro! That model has a strong following here. I've just never liked basket webs so I've never really considered the 1929. Maybe I need to reconsider? My DD knows I'm close to buying her a new glove and I'm thinking about that Global Elite GGE11, she's like "nope, I want another Vinci JUST like the one I have"! The thing about her Vinci is she's destroyed the inside of her glove, middle & ring finger stalls both have holes big enough for her fingers to stick through. After talking to a guy who restores and re-laces gloves and does excellent excellent work, he told me to buy the Global Elite. He said all the internals, felt padding, finger stays, and leather linings are just better than Vinci's and he's been inside hundreds if not thousands of gloves! He likes Vinci's Kip shells though.

Definitely not knocking Vinci, after 2.5 years, and playing 10 months out of the year we definitely got our money's worth.

Nov 11, 2013
I like a more open web too, I like to be able to see through. She's used to it though, both her previous gloves were basket and I think she feels sneaky hiding her pitching grips. I kept hoping we'd run into a vendor at a tournament this year so she could try on a few, but no luck. I'm a gear nut, and usually good at knowing what she'll do better with, but the glove is stumping me. Too much personal preference involved I guess.

Thanks for the help! And grcsftbll, sorry for the hijack.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
2016 Vinci JBG EXCLUSIVE Baseball Glove Tan/Red with FREE GIFT: JSJS

Or get Drakemir to build you a 12" JSJS in all tan Kip leather with a black H-web and black laces. Don't really care for the red laces on this exclusive from Justballgloves but the leather looks great! And I'll take a H-web over that modified T-web everyday. Basically I just described my DD's Vinci.

Boy that is a good lookin glove!! DD #1 has a Wilson 2K, this may be the next glove for her. The tan and black one, not sure why it didn't show in the post. Nice glove

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Boy that is a good lookin glove!! DD #1 has a Wilson 2K, this may be the next glove for her. The tan and black one, not sure why it didn't show in the post. Nice glove

It's been a great glove but it's just about toast. One full re-lace and replaced thumb stay and I've re-laced the fingers and web spiral 3 more times. It has seen some serious use!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

One more thing, had Casedawg order it, no model number. It's just stamped 12 inches on the inside of the thumb. Casey said it was built on a tan JSJS frame and I specified a black H-web and black laces.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55