Which catcher would you go with?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I currently have 2 catchers I'm considering for 10u TB team. One is is very well rounded working catcher. She has very good glove technique and plays really good " heads up" ball. My only problem with her is that she's not particularly quick. The 2nd one is just opposite. She is incredibly quick and aggressive but doesn't have particularly good receiving skills.

Feb 7, 2013
How's the throwing arm? Lots of steals at 2b in 10U. She needs to be able to throw down to 2B and to pick off base runners at 1st and 3rd. Easier to teach receiving skills than quickness and aggressiveness too. The other factor is who is the better hitter and base runner? My last question would be personality of the kid and parents? You will be spending a lot of time together. Sorry, lots of questions and things for you to think about.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Why not both? You can't roll with one catcher
(Well you can, but it's a bad idea)

Thinking long term, a catcher that has good receiving/blocking skills, and has her head in the game will save you more runs than speed and an arm as they get older.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Yes we allow them to steal home and #2 is more prone to D3k. Both are hit or miss with throw downs to 2nd but #1 is incredibly accurate and quick with throws to 3 and pick offs at 1st because she was taught to throw from her knees with those throws. #2 is very raw but with a couple seasons very trainable. #1 has the skills I need but just not the speed.

Jun 24, 2013
#1 is my answer, you will happy this year and you might be kicking yourself in a couple years but there is no guarantee she would have stayed on your Team anyways.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Probably go with both. Let #2 work behind #1 and see how she develops. I think its really hard to judge speed and quickness at this age, with their bodies going through so many changes. #1 may end up being a barn burner @ 12u. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

May 31, 2012
Both. 4 or 5 games in a day. You will need at least 2 catchers. Train them both in secondary positions

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild