Where to start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 2, 2015
So, DD is 7. Our team is Little League pitching machine, but she has seen the older girls pitch, and asks if I can teach her.

"Sure honey! We can start on that this weekend!"

(Backs away from Daughter.....Logs on to DFP)

OK, where do I start? There are about 100 stickies on this board, but not sure if any say how to tackle "Day 1".

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2015
I think the experts here will tell you to start with I/R in the classroom thread and teach her how to throw underhanded first. That is my prediction, let's see how much I've learned.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The I/R in the classroom sticky does a good job of taking it from day one. The drill progression there from lock it in to liberty will get you started well. just remember you are teaching her to throw underhand not pitching just yet.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The I/R in the classroom sticky does a good job of taking it from day one. The drill progression there from lock it in to liberty will get you started well. just remember you are teaching her to throw underhand not pitching just yet.

Cannot over emphasize this point!!!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That is for day 1, week 1 or even month 1. Until she learns to properly throw underhand you do not progress. It will take time and will often be frustrating. But understand you are setting her up for a high level of success in the future.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Imagine you've just committed to run a full 26.2 mile marathon....
Today is not the first step of the race, but rather its your day to start getting in shape, establishing an eating plan, and exercise regiment.
Read, read again, and re-read the I/R in the classroom!!!!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
Great. I'll check out the I/R classroom!

If you've got any other day 1 tips, don't be shy!!

Be patient. Don't emphasize throwing strikes over throwing properly. Don't let her throw to a catcher early on, just a tarp or net at short distance. Define early on a "good" throw as one done with the correct mechanics and a "bad" throw as one done with poor mechanics and not whether the throw was a strike or ball. In other words, don't be result orientated.

Most importantly.....Be patient.

Nov 2, 2015
Imagine you've just committed to run a full 26.2 mile marathon....
Today is not the first step of the race, but rather its your day to start getting in shape, establishing an eating plan, and exercise regiment.
Read, read again, and re-read the I/R in the classroom!!!!

Alrighty...I've already done one marathon. I've stated recently that I've been thinking about another (and this one sounds more fun).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet