Where to start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Keep in mind, she is 7, so her attention span is a lot shorter than someone who is, say 14. Work with her in short increments of time. If need to, take a break and go back when you notice her not paying attention or getting bored.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Keep in mind, she is 7, so her attention span is a lot shorter than someone who is, say 14. Work with her in short increments of time. If need to, take a break and go back when you notice her not paying attention or getting bored.

Attention span is about 1 min per year of age. So for you 7 on topic then 5 off topic or break .

Good luck! It's not a marathon, it's a triathlon!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Yes, it really is a triathlon. Lots of work by your DD, and lots of work for the parents as well. And it can be extremely frustrating at times, such as those days when it seems your DD can't find the strike zone, or else she only finds it for gopher balls.

But the journey can be a BLAST.

Some of the things you may see along the way:
Her first strikeout.
Her first perfect 1-2-3 inning.
The first game her team wins because of her great pitching.
Her first start.
Her first time to come in relief and blow the other team away.
Her first complete game.
Her first complete game victory.
Her first complete game shutout.

... and so on.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Adding to Bob's list:
-Her first no hitter (We celebrated the game where DD got her first double no-hitter: no one made it on and she didn't have a single HBP!)

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
I remember DD's first no-hitter. It was her first game. She walked everyone. Unless she hit them. 20 batters. It's true.

Listen well to these good people and learn to throw underhand first. Changing poor mechanics is excruciatingly tedious and frustrating.

Make sure your DD knows it will take lots of patient work to become a good pitcher, and that you will be happy to help her. And you can look forward to that time helping define a bond between you that will last a lifetime

Apr 28, 2014
All great advice. Just teach her (and yourself ) that this is a roller coaster ride. Two weeks ago my DD played and indoor tournament and got schllaced. Yesterday she struck out 11 of 12 batters and looked like a world beater.
It's takes a tough kid to endure that. I would start now to help develop you kids Mental Toughness.

Jan 4, 2016
^^^ Roller coaster ride for sure. I think I'm going to end up in a padded room before this is over. First tournament of the year this weekend DD pitches no hitter in the first game. Other pitchers pitch the next few games. Championship game DD is back on the rubber pitches well first couple innings. Then gets back to back pitches smashed deep. It was all downhill from there. Total breakdown in mechanics changes we've been working on for months and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. (What's that sound you hear? Oh just me banging my head against the fence post) Back to work at it this week I guess. Another tournament this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd