Where to Start My Daughter Pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
IMO, find a qualified instructor to get your DD started. You can buy all the DVD's you want but unless you have some understanding of pitching and can read between the lines on most DVD"s, you will be better off. If you don't have an instructor in your area that turns out quality pitchers, then your alternative is to sift through all the varying opinions and hope that you make the right decision for your DD.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
We play in PA. I read rule book after she was called out on it. Not sure it's allowed per PIAA rules. I dont coach HS and I cant argue with ump. If there is a hole then heel to plate may be difficult anyhow, so they need to be able to adjust as needed. Heel to plate seemed to help alleviate leaping for my dd.

Apr 25, 2010
PIAA may be like OHSAA and allow/disallow some different things. In Ohio HS, the pitcher is allow to start with her back foot way behind, not touching the pitcher's plate at all.

As far as Bill Hillhouse, yes, he stresses push-off. He is constantly reminding my daughter to explode out. To throw her whole body at the catcher. And she pitches with her push foot "normal". As in, half on the rubber, and half in the hole. He has never once told her to start at the front of the rubber. I do know that he made that video a while ago so maybe things have changed a little.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes