Where to stand in the batter's box: Up or back?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Watching MLB games in person I've noticed most hitters at that level put their foot on or at the back line of the box. It doesn't matter if they are facing a 100mph flame thrower or a pitcher throwing 80mph curves. There has to be a reason the best hitters in the world do that. My guess is they are trying to get a fraction of a second more reaction time.

That being said, DD typically stands at the "middle-back" part of the box with her front foot even with the front of the plate.

Not sure that comparing a 6'-2" man in a 6 foot box with a 5'-8" woman in a 7 foot box is a valid comparison. Baseball players have much less room to move about.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
In the mens game I can see where this makes sense. What about the remaining 99% of the softball world? The answer will change depending on the level of play, the skills of the pitcher, skills of the hitter, and tactical situation. You need figure out the right thing to do given the situation.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's a far cry from a low-mid 80's pitch versus anywhere from a 60-70 MPH pitch. I just found it interesting given the situations he posed. As you mentioned earlier, I've found this to be a good strategy not only against a good drop ball pitcher but a good riseball pitcher as well...especially if they're struggling a bit with control. Now, a good riseball pitcher that can throw that "low" rise will just about be at the top of the zone at the back of the box. Depending upon the strike zone called, it could be either a strike or a ball depending upon the HP. At the younger ages (16-18 YO), I can honestly say I think I've seen maybe 4 pitchers that could consistently get that called for a strike though. At the top college levels, all bets are off. Of course, my team doesn't play the top showcases or Nationals either.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In HS ball, staying back in the box will likely result in movement pitches out of the strike zone. So our HS coach requires everyone to stand at the front of the box. the result is movement and speed are both very effective. when facing a pitcher with an effective drop ball, if they stood back in the box, the ball would be in the dirt when it got to the catcher.

With all due respect to those in the Umpire "Craft", the umpires here are not that good. if a pitch passes through the strike zone and finishes outside, its a ball. in TB this summer we had umps who would only call strikes over the fat part of the plate. it happens. the batter just needs to adjust. move forward, back whatever works for you.

May 17, 2012
In HS ball, staying back in the box will likely result in movement pitches out of the strike zone. So our HS coach requires everyone to stand at the front of the box. the result is movement and speed are both very effective. when facing a pitcher with an effective drop ball, if they stood back in the box, the ball would be in the dirt when it got to the catcher.

But why make everyone adjust before you have even seen what the pitcher throws? As an opposing coach I like seeing this and so does my pitcher.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I meant by the benefit of an open stance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I can't answer for Riseball, but I'm guessing that he's talking about the inclination to try to work away (i.e., outer portion of the plate) versus hitters with an open stance, which, depending if the hitter strides nuetral/closed, may not end well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00