Moving up in the box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A batter standing at the front of the box has more field in front of them.
From where the foul lines are aligned with the plate.
Standing at the front of the box is standing in Fair territory.
(Less chance of hitting a foul ball)
20200527_061017-1.jpg

standing in the back of the box has more territory to pull foul.

Consider turning and opening/pulling from the front of the box, I can still be driving on the fair side of the field line. That same swing standing in the back of the box opening/pulling the same swing would be on the foul side of the field line.

That said I truly believe the reasons batters stand in different places is because of how they see react and adjust in decision-making at the plate. Not for any other reason but individual comfortability.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Technically speaking this is not accurate. If you're up in the box you are closer to the outfield fence and have less field in front of you. I thought I would point this out before Pattar did.
Haaa okay ✔
🥳🏆

LUV IT and closer to hitting a homerun!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If your pitching makes a "good hitting team" change its approach in the box, you're doing something right.

Jul 31, 2019
Over the years I’ve listened to the argument of less time/more time to see the pitch depending on where you stand in the box.

Considering it takes less than a 0.4 sec for the bal to get from the pitcher hand to the catchers glove, how much time are you really buying….

Jan 28, 2017
Theoretically speaking if moving up in the box to 'hit it before it breaks' works then the counter move is to 'backdoor' your movement pitches, basically start the pitch out of the zone and bring it into the strike zone at the last second. If a RH hitter moves up in the box to hit a RH pitcher's curve before it breaks to far outside then the pitcher should start the curve way inside and break it onto the inside corner. If the hitter is up in the box she will have to make contact out in front and basically pull the ball foul or let it break in for a called strike. But I'm not so sure that late break is really that much of a factor. If a pitch starts to break 20ft out and moves 10in that's 0.5in of break per foot of travel. Moving up in the box 2ft is only going to change ball location by 1in, that doesn't seem like much.
Limited seeing them moving up like this and calling pitches. I was
If your pitching makes a "good hitting team" change its approach in the box, you're doing something right.
I’m friends with one of their coaches and they won their tournament this weekend. He said we crushed so and so. She is around 59-61 with a nasty curve ball. Good rise that runs in. He said in conversation we moved up and crush the rise that runs in. The pitcher is good. They can just hit.

Jan 8, 2019
Roughly speaking, time for fastball from pitcher’s hand to catcher’s glove is .54 sec at 50 mph, and .49 sec at 55 mph.

If the batter is able to utilize 6 ft of the box from front to back, the time the batter sees the ball changes by ~.08 sec (@50 mph) or .07 sec (@ 55mph) from the front of the box to the back. (Time it takes to blink =~.1 sec.)

Interestingly, drop over the same distance (gravity effect only, no spin taken into account) is ~1.3 inches (@50) and ~1.06 in (@ 55).

I promote setting up just behind the middle (not all the way back, but some) to get some benefit of seeing the ball a little bit longer, but also seeing the ball in the same strike zone that the umpire is (supposed to be) calling. I’m very opposed to giving pitchers two opportunities for a strike by creating two zones (one for hitter, one for umpire). And yes, I have seen plenty of pitches that changed zones from the front to the back (even middle) of the box.

(Numbers here not meant to be perfect calcs, but close enough for comparisons. Too many variables for me.)

Jul 31, 2019
Roughly speaking, time for fastball from pitcher’s hand to catcher’s glove is .54 sec at 50 mph, and .49 sec at 55 mph.

If the batter is able to utilize 6 ft of the box from front to back, the time the batter sees the ball changes by ~.08 sec (@50 mph) or .07 sec (@ 55mph) from the front of the box to the back. (Time it takes to blink =~.1 sec.)

Interestingly, drop over the same distance (gravity effect only, no spin taken into account) is ~1.3 inches (@50) and ~1.06 in (@ 55).

I promote setting up just behind the middle (not all the way back, but some) to get some benefit of seeing the ball a little bit longer, but also seeing the ball in the same strike zone that the umpire is (supposed to be) calling. I’m very opposed to giving pitchers two opportunities for a strike by creating two zones (one for hitter, one for umpire). And yes, I have seen plenty of pitches that changed zones from the front to the back (even middle) of the box.

(Numbers here not meant to be perfect calcs, but close enough for comparisons. Too many variables for me.)
Very interesting take on giving the umpire a second strike zone. I will definitely ponder that. Any chance you can do the reaction time math at 60 and 63 mph?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00