Where does the SS go on a bunt with a runner on first?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
I had this discussion with the other coach on our team. Runner on 1st. Girl at bat bunts. 2nd base covers 1st base. Does SS cover 2nd base or 3rd base? If I am an aggressive coach and I see that the 3rd baseman charges towards home on the bunt, I an telling my runner from 1st base not even to stop at 2nd and continue to 3rd because there is no one covering.

Please advise. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2013
DD might play at a different level then yours but I think the defense choices are:

3rd or P covers 3rd, depending on the bunt. For lack of a better term they need to retreat to the bag.

Your other choice is CF cover 2nd and SS goes to 3rd.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
1) runner at 1st....bunt...2nd baseman covers 1st...SS covers 2nd...LF or Catcher covers 3rd (I have seen both ways done)..............If Catcher covers 3rd, then LF backs ups play and P covers home just in case...RF backs up 1st base and CF backs up 2nd base!

2) Runner at 2nd..bunt...SS covers 3rd....2nd baseman covers 1st...CF covers 2nd...Lf backs up 3rd and RF backs up 1st

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Coaches will disagree on this. ...

Some coaches will leave the 3B back in this situation and employ a clockwise bunt defense - 3B goes back to third, SS to second, 2B to first, 1B charges. This defends against what you're suggesting, and it also allows the SS to cover second on a steal attempt. I would not have the shortstop covering third for this reason. The downside is that you have fewer fielders defending the bunt itself.

Other coaches will have the 3B charge but have either the 3B or P peel back to third once they know they aren't fielding the ball. If the defense is disciplined and the fielders aren't slow, I think this works pretty well. I've also seen catchers cover third in this situation in a college game (instead of 3B or especially instead of P), but I wouldn't recommend that for any team that I've coached.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
1) runner at 1st....bunt...2nd baseman covers 1st...SS covers 2nd...LF or Catcher covers 3rd (I have seen both ways done)..............If Catcher covers 3rd, then LF backs ups play and P covers home just in case...RF backs up 1st base and CF backs up 2nd base!

That's what we use.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I go with either 3rd or pitcher covering. If 3rd fields the ball, pitcher covers. If 3rd doesn't field the ball, they cover. I always have my SS cover 2nd in case the bunt is hit too hard or the push it back to the pitcher and you have time to take the lead runner. Doesn't happen too often, but it does happen.

Colleges like to have the catcher cover, but they are not catching 3 games in a day at that level. They also have the catcher run up the line and back up 1st base. That would be a lot on the catcher in summer ball bracket play at 90° plus.

Nov 29, 2009
I an telling my runner from 1st base not even to stop at 2nd and continue to 3rd because there is no one covering.

And as the defensive coach I'm saying Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for the easy out because I have my 3rd baseman retreating to the bag if she is not making the play. If she makes the play on the ball or can't make it back to 3rd I have my pitcher covering 3rd. The SS is at 2nd.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
And as the defensive coach I'm saying Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for the easy out because I have my 3rd baseman retreating to the bag if she is not making the play. If she makes the play on the ball or can't make it back to 3rd I have my pitcher covering 3rd. The SS is at 2nd.

Yup with the above

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie