When to start the load.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 28, 2012
In case anyone is wondering where the "shark" reference came from, here is some bedtime reading (I'm sure rdbass has read it :) ):
Toe Touch and Heel Plant

Lots more has been written over the years arguing the value of toe touch as a checkpoint or cue. Heck, we have posters on BFF still promoting a drill of teaching striding to toe touch while stretching rear elbow up… do that in a mirror over and over. Sorry, not for me.

Funny thing… had you not mentioned that one phrase, I probably wouldn't have said anything, and then all of this magical interwebz dialog wouldn't have happened. Thank you, rdbass! Or darn you, rdbass! Depending on your take on things :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is the video referenced in this post.

What he demonstrates as a flaw is what I translate to "being rushed". What he says was a solution ... something he had heard a million times ... was to start slower and earlier. It's the Holy Grail to hitting. Add rhythm ... and sequence ... and a proper use of the hands ... and you're pretty much going to be able to extract some fun from this game.

Never allow a pitcher to rush you!!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Nope. You said to stride out to toe touch on every pitch. That's not a terminology issue. That just plain bad everything. :) That's all my original post called you out on. Where it went from there is just how message boards go. Erase that one thing from your blackboard and everything else you said was probably fine or at least not detrimental.

Are you really denying that all good hitters stride forward to toe touch every pitch. I could show you a thousand clips that says your are wrong. I dont care about your terms, your wrong.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
What he demonstrates as a flaw is what I translate to "being rushed". What he says was a solution ... something he had heard a million times ... was to start slower and earlier. It's the Holy Grail to hitting. Add rhythm ... and sequence ... and a proper use of the hands ... and you're pretty much going to be able to extract some fun this game.

Never allow a pitcher to rush you!!

Am i mssing something? How does noon think this proves his point? Im lost.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In case anyone is wondering where the "shark" reference came from, here is some bedtime reading (I'm sure rdbass has read it :) ):
Toe Touch and Heel Plant

Lots more has been written over the years arguing the value of toe touch as a checkpoint or cue. Heck, we have posters on BFF still promoting a drill of teaching striding to toe touch while stretching rear elbow up… do that in a mirror over and over. Sorry, not for me.

Funny thing… had you not mentioned that one phrase, I probably wouldn't have said anything, and then all of this magical interwebz dialog wouldn't have happened. Thank you, rdbass! Or darn you, rdbass! Depending on your take on things :)

It led to a good exchange ...... got to read "Coil-Load-Launch".

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Is he saying dont load slow and early.

Is he saying all good hitters dont shift to tt on every pitch. Thats the question again.

Since your questions are specifically about what Noon is saying, I'll let Noon answer for himself.

From my perspective ... the video is not about "loading" 'slow and early' ... but about starting the motion 'slow and early'. The very first 'inch' of the motion ... being 'early and slow' ... and that there is the "holy grail" to hitting.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Since your questions are specifically about what Noon is saying, I'll let Noon answer for himself.

From my perspective ... the video is not about "loading" 'slow and early' ... but about starting the motion 'slow and early'. The very first 'inch' of the motion ... being 'early and slow' ... and that there is the "holy grail" to hitting.

Yeeeeees and? This is widely recognized as fact, thats why i dont understand what he is saying. Nor do i get the name calling. I tought this looked like he last and only site where people can disagree on hitting without the cowboy attitudes and name calling. I havent seen this type of name calling as much on this site as some of the others. Sad!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Are you really denying that all good hitters stride forward to toe touch every pitch. I could show you a thousand clips that says your are wrong. I dont care about your terms, your wrong.

No. I agree that all hitters, good and bad, will have their front foot on the ground at some point, maybe it never came off at all. Does that mean you need to or should instruct hitters to stride to toe touch on every pitch? I understand the desire to have hitters mentally prepared to hit every pitch (which was kind of the original message of the responses to the OP) but instructing a physical act (stride to toe touch on every pitch) that should be a by-product of a proper sequence is not the way to make sure they are mentally prepared, and will most likely prevent ever getting to a proper sequence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877