When to start the load.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 28, 2012
Yep, Noon did alot of quibbling over my terminology.

Nope. You said to stride out to toe touch on every pitch. That's not a terminology issue. That just plain bad everything. :) That's all my original post called you out on. Where it went from there is just how message boards go. Erase that one thing from your blackboard and everything else you said was probably fine or at least not detrimental.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Nope. You said to stride out to toe touch on every pitch. That's not a terminology issue. That just plain bad everything. :) That's all my original post called you out on. Where it went from there is just how message boards go. Erase that one thing from your blackboard and everything else you said was probably fine or at least not detrimental.

How is that just bad everything? Set me straight. I don't want to be 'detrimental' to the hitters.
This is not stride out to toe touch?
Bautista-Jose-2011-07-19-IBB-Ball-3.gif

Bautista-Jose-2011-04-29-HR-LFL-3-2-SL-Hang-High-Front-Side-600x200.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Noon the more I read this I don't appreciate the claim that you are making towards me. I don't try to purposely give out wrong/bad information. I stand by what I said and I like my seat in the back. Don't bother to respond. I already have derailed this thread against a posters wish.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Rd, i think the message is some might interpret using the toe touch as an independent front leg action.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Got to say ... there was a time I used "toe touch" ... but tossed it several years ago.

In any event ... you should begin moving forward at approximately the pitcher's release ... and since you won't know if it is a 'ball' or 'strike' at that point, you need to be doing that on every pitch. Yeager refers to this as a 'shift' and he believes one should 'shift' on every pitch. If you are a "toe touch" type of person, then you might think along such terms ... although I prefer not to ... mainly because I found the use of "toe touch" during instruction led to piece-meal swings with less than stellar "flow".

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
this goes along with my old question, "how far do you take every swing"?

In this gif from rdbass above is not how far batista would normally take his swing, its not far enough.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums...-Jose/Bautista-Jose-2011-07-19-IBB-Ball-3.gif

If rdbass you could, or anyone post another take clip, I believe you would see the swing much further along.

maybe this far
ConnectionDrill - YouTube

when to start wow, that's the game of pitcher batter right there. The pitchers goal is to mess up your timing, so your connection if it all, is not sweet.
One of the things I use the machine to do, is increased velocity training.
It must be done correctly, because just having a student do it, can be a nightmare for the batter.
I love doing this myself, crank it up, in progression, and continue to start the swing sooner.

EVERY AT BAT, is about timing. you best adjust quickly.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Mann, you want to be "on time" twice during each pitch. First time to be "on time" is during the pitcher's release .... at which point you want to be moving forward. A pitcher shouldn't be messing that up .... it's a hitter's responsibility to have that down cold before stepping into the box. The start of the motion being "early and slow" is about getting the hitter's movement going so that they are "on time" the "first time". The second time to be "on time" is at contact ... and for that the hitter is no longer "timing the pitcher", but is instead "timing the ball". That is where a pitcher works to disrupt a hitter's timing ... and that is where a good sequence comes to a hitter's aid. To get really good at "timing the ball", it helps to take a lot of live pitching ... and not all at the same speed.

Aug 28, 2012
Just an aside. In the Bautista video that everyone likes on the changes he made to his swing, he stated start slow and early. He did not say load slow and early. He didn't say anything about loading.

Here is the video referenced in this post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g