When to develop slappers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2012
Curious what other coaches use as determining factors when turning a player into a slapper?

Recently spent time helping a team where the head coach was converting 2 players into slappers. I was puzzled because the 1st player had a good bat from the right side, 2nd player was a lefty with a good bat and below avg speed to 1B.
The 1st player has been working on slapping for some months and still wasn't comfortable in the box. So I asked her if she had spent any time just swinging lefty. She said the coach only wanted her to slapp or bunt from the left side and no more righty. Just figured getting reps swinging and seeing the ball from the left side may help for an easier transition to slapping. Coach did not agree with my suggestion.

I'm no slapping coach but I do have a check list when it comes to suggesting a player make the switch to slapper!
1. MUST BE FAST TO 1B
2. Below avg hitter
3. MUST BE FAST TO 1B

I could be wrong maybe Crystal Bustos would have been a great lefty slapper.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
I agree with smddad about fast.

I have experience converting about 100 players to LH with slap skills. Beyond speed and athletic talent, the biggest success factor is that the team coach, the parents and the player all fully support the switch. I also agree with freak that the player should also be developing her LH full swing. This is a challenge for slappers...developing full swing, hard slap, soft slap and drag bunt skills...each of which has its own mechanics...takes practice time. I think people are mistaken when they decide to switch to LH slap based on the notion that it is "easier"... fast players should consider switching because they will get on base more often and be better players..it's worth the effort.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Extremely fast... teach her to slap. This has nothing to do with averages. Remember slappers primarily just want to put the ball in play, and then its their speed that puts the pressure on the defence. And extra pressure will lead to errors and errors will lead to extra bases and runs! So, to answer your original post.... ASAP!!!

Sep 3, 2009
I would vehemently disagree with #2. It should almost be the opposite... Slapping is about speed yes, and putting the ball in play, yes. But it's also very much about placement. Placement of the ball is probably AS important, as speed to 1B is. I would say that a good slapper needs to SEE the ball very well.

It's not a "start running through the box and just do a Hail Mary swing and run to first as fast as you can and hope you beat the throw" thing. I see that at the ball parks and cringe...

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Very simple. A good slapper takes what the defense gives her! absdad is correct! I teach them to hit first then slap. If you can only slap you are easy to defend.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
I teach them to hit first then slap. If you can only slap you are easy to defend.

Good point! If they can't swing away on the left side, they're not going to be effective slapping. You see them every once in a while, they'll try slapping on the left side until they get two strikes. Then the coach moves them over to the right to swing away...

Apr 2, 2013
Good point! If they can't swing away on the left side, they're not going to be effective slapping. You see them every once in a while, they'll try slapping on the left side until they get two strikes. Then the coach moves them over to the right to swing away...

This is my 10 year old! She is a very fast sprinter and a great, consistent RH batter. Head coach decided to teach her to slap on the left...she's picking it up like she has always hit LH. Has tried it in a few games with mixed results- sometimes has put the ball into play & made it safely to first, sometimes has had walks and a couple of times has had 2 strikes on her and then been swapped back to the right side to swing away. We just do what the coach says!

Sep 3, 2009
This is my 10 year old! She is a very fast sprinter and a great, consistent RH batter. Head coach decided to teach her to slap on the left...she's picking it up like she has always hit LH. Has tried it in a few games with mixed results- sometimes has put the ball into play & made it safely to first, sometimes has had walks and a couple of times has had 2 strikes on her and then been swapped back to the right side to swing away. We just do what the coach says!

My dd's slapping/hitting coach had a good talk with us in the beginning about this. And drastic change in hitting, you're going to become familiar with the "J curve". She told us that my dd will get worse, before she gets better. But not to get frustrated because that is part of the change, and part of improving. Not to get frustrated and move back to the right, but to stay with it and see it through.

Moving to the left is a drastic change. I'm a firm believer that they either hit left all the time, or none of the time. Part of improving, is to see failure and work through it. If you can't overcome failure, how can you expect to get success for only 2 or 3 pitches every few at bats? I would move her to the left permanently, and don't look back. Tell the coach what you're doing and if they drop her in the lineup, so be it. Believe it or not, it will take some pressure off of her. Then work constantly on it, and let her get her swings in. It will take some time, maybe a few months, maybe a year, but stick with it. Tell the coach not to switch back and forth!

At 10, your DD should be able to pick this up pretty quickly.

May 8, 2012
NJ
Agree 100% with absdad....you, the coaches, and the player must be all in. You need failure to move forward...trust me..there will be plenty. Its a huge move....and every bit as technical and more than a swing away hitter to be full tool slapper. You need to have speed, control, and think. Slapping is not a gimmick...a tricky way to play...its a skill that only the best are good at. Poking a bunt and running like hell is not slapping....nor is the 1/2 swing and run like hell. You need to read the defense and what they are giving you....along with what will work with base runners you may have. Learning the swing away is critical...not used often, but just like football...need to pass to open up the run and keep defense honest. Power doesn't have to be huge...just the threat is enough but the swing needs to be at least convincing.
To the OP...10u is not too early, but other than drag bunt and soft slap to the 5-6 hole...not sure what you will get. It will be a mixed bag at the least. Work the footwork and bunt...run like hell. I personally think 12u is where they start to understand where to drive the ball...perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see too many at 10u driving to rf from a slapping standpoint.
DD started slapping as a 2nd yr 12u....softball didn't need another mediocre power hitter from the rt side. We took to the left like you wouldnt believe....good swings...seeing the ball better, with about the same power from the rt....until live pitching and the brain had to start working at game speed...its a process. Once you go left....take your lumps and learn from it....DO NOT SWITCH BACK!! Soft slap, power slap, swing away, drag bunt....a lot to learn. Stay with it...its a long haul, but in the end you either slap or you kinda slap. There is no kinda/somewhat/sometimes...you either do 100% and are a slapper or you're not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom