Learning to bunt lefty?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
And so what?
The point was if she moves to left side and every time she does, she only bunts, it won't take long for a smart coach to pull the corners in for an automatic out whenever she is in the LH batter's box. Thus it negates any advantage it once had and actually becomes a detriment. Also, coaches talk so the advantage wouldn't last more than a game or 2 in Hs or a tournament in TB. Either turn her into a triple threat or leave her alone.

Jul 22, 2015
Yes, I get that, but the intention is to be fast enough to beat it out anyway, with good placement.
If all she can do is bunt then the other teams will realize that very quickly and VERY few are fast enough to beat out bunts when EVERYONE is pulled in close (at least after 12u). If/when I knew someone was doing this then I'd even bring an outfielder in as an extra infielder. If she can pick it up really easily then it may be worth one or two hits at some point but I sure wouldn't spend much time on it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
?No response?
Her out of the box to 1st can help determine some worthiness to her switching to left side.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
Anywhere from 3.02 to 3.10 from the right side as of last Summer. Two weeks ago she was timed at H.S.tryouts and someone who was present only stated that she is fast. I don’t know the time.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Anywhere from 3.02 to 3.10 from the right side as of last Summer. Two weeks ago she was timed at H.S.tryouts and someone who was present only stated that she is fast. I don’t know the time.
That's pretty good from the right side. Probably just under 3.0 from the left side (2.9) is still not super fast but still quick.

Mixing up what she would do on the left side would give her more opportunity be safe instead of giving away bunt every time.
That is part of the elusiveness of being a lefty slapper bunter hitter. Because the uncertainty may take up a moment of reaction time on the defensive part.
So it makes it harder for the defense.

Just remember if she still going to be hitting right-handed. Then still need to keep training the same time for right-handed.
Then add more training for the left-handed side.
*Don't take away training the right side to split time 50/50 on each side. Still need a dedicated full-time to each if doing both.

Oct 3, 2019
That's pretty good from the right side. Probably just under 3.0 from the left side (2.9) is still not super fast but still quick.

Mixing up what she would do on the left side would give her more opportunity be safe instead of giving away not bunt every time.
That is part of the elusiveness of being a lefty slapper bunter hitter. Because the uncertainty may takes up a moment of reaction time on the defensive part.
So it makes it harder for the defense.

Just remember if she still going to be hitting right-handed. Then you still keep training the same for right-handed but add more training for the left-handed side. Don't take away training the right side to split time 50/50 on each side you still need a dedicated full-time to each if you're doing both.
Thank you!

Jun 8, 2016
I am all for creativity and thinking outside the box but if something is never done there is probably a good reason (and @Eric F was the first to mention the likely reason..)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Look at it this way that if somebody is still training on what they already know how to do... And are willing to add more time learning a new skill set then that is another tool in the toolbox.

Or this perspective
In this situation if she just worked on being faster out of the box from the right side and work on sprinting more she could help her time being safe from the right side and not have to learn the additional skill sets of being a batter from the left side.

She can always develop a quick sneak bunt from the right side.
if batter is breaking 3.0 from the right side that is a very efficient. If can get to 2.8 from the right side that is notable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28