When to begin and post about fall tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2014
I coach a 12U team and our season as well as most teams summer season is over. When is an appropriate time to post information regarding tryouts for fall ball? I dont want other coaches to think Im trying to steal players during a season so I want to do this the right way. Thx for any input.

Jul 19, 2010
Central California
From what I've seen here in Central California, tryouts for Fall Ball usually occur during the final two weekends in August. Then they start playing ball as soon as September rolls in.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Post it anyway. There are always gonna be naysayers. Nows the time to nab up some good players that may be disgruntled with their current coach.

Oct 10, 2011
tryouts

We just saw a big organization in our area has posted tryout dates for August... It sure makes it easier to plan if you have the dates early.

Jun 24, 2013
If your season is over, same as most Teams, you better start posting.

DD is still playing and even though she is going to complete her season with the current team I like to know what is out there.

If you were still playing I would go and watch one of your games but that doesn’t apply. I do not think posting about future opportunities can be construed as you trying to steal players.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I coach a 12U team and our season as well as most teams summer season is over. When is an appropriate time to post information regarding tryouts for fall ball? I dont want other coaches to think Im trying to steal players during a season so I want to do this the right way. Thx for any input.

Are most teams near you really done already? How was your season structured? The more serious teams in Ohio will play some winter and spring tournaments indoors and even outdoors early, most teams here aren't done until the end of July. At 16U we only just got started.

There really aren't any rules when you can post tryouts. Have at it, especially if you've wrapped up your season. I wouldn't actually have tryouts until most teams are done, whenever that is in your area.

Feb 3, 2011
Get your fields reserved and post your dates right away. Softball families have a small window of time to get in their vacations, and many will schedule them with potential tryouts in mind. If a player is going to be unavailable on your scheduled dates, you may wish to set up a private workout for them.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I coach a 12U team and our season as well as most teams summer season is over.

Over? Heck ours just started a few weeks ago. Maybe where you're located might help on dates from other members.

Our summer section ends first of August, dangerous heat levels so many use that month as a "tournament" dead period. Some hold tryouts end of August / first of September, fall season ends mid November.

Depending on your needs/number of players, I'd say post a month in advance. Also check the web for other local teams holding tryouts, you don't want to double book, and sometimes you just might want to hold yours before theirs. :rolleyes:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We have been looking at specific players for several weeks - feeling out whether they are happy where they are, figuring out which teams are going to fall apart, etc, etc. We wont offer spots until state championship weeks unless someone asks directly, but we know who we are approaching.

Posting tryout dates isn't stealing anyone - putting it up as 'reserve this date' is fine. Make sure you offer private tryouts as you are going to see your rivals choose the same date to try and keep their players (i.e. you can only be in one place and if you are not sure you are going to change teams you show up at your current teams tryout).

If you are established, most tryouts are only for 1 or 2 players anyway. The last few seasons I have had at least 9 confirmed well before tryouts and last season we didn't even bother having tryouts as we had our squad done.

Oh and you can't worry about other coaches think because if you wait, the on-the-fence/didn't know they weren't happy players will be snapped up by some other team and you will miss out. If you have a good program and you believe you are a consideration for good players, then let it be known you are looking. We have several coaches here who recruit during the season for the season going on now - I am still friends with them (though I suspect this is because I know they have no chance of getting any of our current squad to leave).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028