When success shows up....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2010
West Chicago Il
When success shows up,
Dont change it!
Yet some coaches cant help themselves....

How many have encountered this....
IN TRAVEL BALL .
A successful athlete shows up for a tryout.
Say Coach doesnt know the player.
Player proceeds to show there skills.
Glove work
Footwork
Hitting
Pitching
Catching

Suddenly

Off the bucket comes the coach....
Pulls player aside.
To tell them what their doing is wrong....
And do it this way....

Hmmmm?
The player showed up with success!

Watched coaches do this to players i dont know. Yet can clearly see their talent.
Have had talented young players encounter this. Even top tier D1 talent encounter this. Coaches who had no clue the athlete already recruited by top D1 schools....looking at the coach. Respectfully listening....not going to change a thing.
Walking away from the day of softball saying...
"Uhh No, not changing!"

This may sound arrogant
However...simply said,
If your kid is successful...
Why is it some coaches
Say "Hurray talent"
And another coach blind?

Whats the deal with coaches that do this?
Thought to let the viewpoints here on DFP handle this conundrum. ;)
When success shows up,
Dont change it!
Yet some coaches cant help themselves....

How many have encountered this....
IN TRAVEL BALL .
A successful athlete shows up for a tryout.
Say Coach doesnt know the player.
Player proceeds to show there skills.
Glove work
Footwork
Hitting
Pitching
Catching

Suddenly

Off the bucket comes the coach....
Pulls player aside.
To tell them what their doing is wrong....
And do it this way....

Hmmmm?
The player showed up with success!

Watched coaches do this to players i dont know. Yet can clearly see their talent.
Have had talented young players encounter this. Even top tier D1 talent encounter this. Coaches who had no clue the athlete already recruited by top D1 schools....looking at the coach. Respectfully listening....not going to change a thing.
Walking away from the day of softball saying...
"Uhh No, not changing!"

This may sound arrogant
However...simply said,
If your kid is successful...
Why is it some coaches
Say "Hurray talent"
And another coach blind?

Whats the deal with coaches that do this?
Thought to let the viewpoints here on DFP handle this conundrum. ;)
I train boys baseball & girls softball and a lot of my students come back & say the coaches r changing me to do this or that. I really believe a lot of coaches couldn’t tell the difference of someone with good mechanics or bad ones. Not playing the sport at a high level creates a lot of over coaching.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
As much as I would like this to be true, in my experience, this can no longer be the case.

The world we now live in is changing. Athletes lead a more sedentary lifestyle than the generations before them. They live within their phones and social media. Videos are everywhere covering every possible subject, and parents hover more than ever now. (Just take a minute or two and read all the negative posts about coaches on this site alone). Parents are invading the college ranks as well.

The number one killer of a team is when Sally loves her team but Mom or Dad hates the Coach. Now, at the dinner table, Mom and Dad are putting that negativity into Sally which causes her to be torn. Family first, so the Coach tends to lose that battle every time. I think it is better to be reasonable and explain, rather than build a wall. It is ok to leave the conversation with an agree to disagree.

There is nothing wrong with your Rules and Expectations. We use techniques and tactics that work for us and what we are trying to accomplish. I don't mind talking with parents about their athletes. In more times than not, I have gotten parents to help me get Sally more reps and more focused on improvement. I haven't won all the conversations. Oddly enough though, the ones I lost, the player was a bit toxic anyway. I truly understand the Apple and the Tree analogy now.

I suppose context matters. This is my rule for the high school team. My stated reasoning is that, at that age, I want the players to be the ones to talk to me if they have an issue. They're about to be adults, and they can't have their parents fighting every battle for them anymore. I communicate very little with the parents outside of a major issue (I try to keep in touch with parents regarding injuries, for example, because kids are terrible at explaining what's going on). I am willing to meet with parents to discuss anything but playing time. I have had conversations where parents ask how their daughter is doing, and they'll get an honest assessment with a couple things they can work on at home to improve.

I understand the situation would be different for younger teams or travel teams.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ohhh high school....
Keep parents restricted to beyond outfield fence....
AT ALL TIMES....LOL

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ohhh high school....
Keep parents restricted to beyond outfield fence....
AT ALL TIMES....LOL
In golf, the parents have to stay at the club house. Otherwise, they would follow their kids around offering advice.

The basic reason behind sports it to teach kids about winning and losing. If a kid wins, then it should be 100% her success. And, if the kid loses, it should be hers too.

Some parents do not want to let their kids succeed or fail on their own. They are always trying to muscle in and take over the game.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Around here most of the varsity coaches are not very knowledgeable or are really old school. And many of them are not open to the of idea of 'outside' coaching or instruction. The local coach is a great person so at least there's that.

Jun 8, 2016
Talked to someone tonight who knows Jocelyn Alo fairly well and apparently JT Gasso was messing with her swing....AFTER her freshmen year 😆

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA