When did your DD first throw 60 mph?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Can I admit that I started laughing at the title? The goal of 60 is normal. The actual factual pitchers throwing 60 isn't. LOL

Great idea for a thread and can't wait to read all of the responses.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD was into the 60's when she got to HS, but is certainly atypical. Very few kids in HS can hit 60 and rarely can work at that speed. The vast majority of all college pitchers throw below 60. Even in the SEC there are many that live in the high 50's low 60's range. But they spin the ball very well and can put it in a tea cup. Forget about speed and focus on command and movement. Even if she throws 70, if she tubes it she will get rocked.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2015
I'm still very new to the fastpitch softball world, but from reading on here and the little i've been around tournaments, I have come to the following conclusion. 60 mph in softball is much like 90 in baseball. Many men's slowpitch softball players say they used to throw 90+ in high school. Almost none did. It's common in the pros, but that's part of the reason they are in the pros. these same guys now have girls pitching. Thus, "my 12 year old is thowing 60" becomes a talking point. If my DD continues to enjoy softball, i hope she gets there, but in the end, i just want her to have fun along the way. I know there are many girls that can and do throw that hard, just dont think it is nearly as common place as some moms and dads believe.

Jun 8, 2012
Illinois
DD hit 60 in early 8th grade. Me sneaking a look over a college coaches shoulder as they gunned her in a showcase game at the beginning of her HS freshman year she hit 62. The other pitches I caught the number on were 59-60. Just need to figure out how to get that cruising speed up to that 62. She has always thrown hard and had more speed than most. She is now a young sophomore as she's still 14.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
Okay, hold up because I am pretty confused right now. I have read so many posts by parents (on another forum) and they all say their 10, 11 & 12yo's are already throwing in the mid 60's. I was really starting to think there was something wrong with my 12yo because she isn't throwing 65mph...........

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I'm still very new to the fastpitch softball world, but from reading on here and the little i've been around tournaments, I have come to the following conclusion. 60 mph in softball is much like 90 in baseball. Many men's slowpitch softball players say they used to throw 90+ in high school. Almost none did. It's common in the pros, but that's part of the reason they are in the pros. these same guys now have girls pitching. Thus, "my 12 year old is thowing 60" becomes a talking point. If my DD continues to enjoy softball, i hope she gets there, but in the end, i just want her to have fun along the way. I know there are many girls that can and do throw that hard, just dont think it is nearly as common place as some moms and dads believe.

I guess it depends on what part of the country you're from. According to another thread, at the 10u PGF Nationals every kid was throwing in the mid-50s with one kid hitting 60. In fact, according to posters in that thread, PGF players hitting mid-50s at 10u is a common occurrence. Here in the Northeast, hitting the mid-50s at 10u is less likely and is the exception, not the norm.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD has hit 60 ONCE in a lesson last month and she started HS two weeks ago... Right now she can get it to 58 fairly consistently, but it seems to takes a lot out of her. She lives in the 54-56mph range all day long and is pretty effective.

She is a 55mph pitcher to me. That is what she throws consistently in games.

Nov 18, 2013
DD and her teammate both first hit 60 as first year 14U. They hit it consistently the following year. Both were rather tall for their ages. Both are in college now and throw low-mid 60's. Speed isn't as important as movement at this level.

Feb 7, 2013
As a side note. This past weekend, I gunned a bunch of 16u and 18u pitchers at a lower level tournament in central CA (DD 14u team was 1 of 2 teams playing up in 16u division) and the highest reading was 58mph (with a range from 47mph - 58mph).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles