Changing times for pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
I would say the majority believe in spin and spot because the majority on here have gone through the whole process with their DD’s and/or coached it first hand. In some cases lived it.

I think some who have gone through the whole process with their DDs have forgotten what it's really like in 10u... I am guilty of this as well... watched some of DD2's 10u video the other day (she is now 14u), and it was painful to watch... haha.

Jun 19, 2016
Because mom and dad are tall and strong, DD got a lot of that. So speed isn't something we work on much since she gets that naturally a bit earlier than her peers.

I love that she doesn't walk many batters. It's cool that she hits her spots.

I do put emphasis on velocity more than most, but not as much as you. :p

Yeah, we played in a regional 12U A tourney last fall. My 11 year old DD hit 50 mph during a game and was the slowest pitcher I clocked at the tourney (35 teams or so). I didn't come across any over 60, but tons in the high 50s.
I am curious as to where this tournament was. In the Texas/OK area 12U pitchers at any level tournament that can throw over 55 are exceedingly rare. I have certainly never been to a tournament that had tons of girls throwing that fast.

Jun 19, 2016
I definitely have seen some pitchers in ESPN + for smaller D1 schools that are not breaking 60. I think the poster that said that demand has exceeded supply hit the nail on the head. The big programs are expanding their pitching staffs. I watched a game were Baylor used three different flame throwers. I am pretty sure the smaller programs would recruit them a flame thrower if they were available.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I think some who have gone through the whole process with their DDs have forgotten what it's really like in 10u... I am guilty of this as well... watched some of DD2's 10u video the other day (she is now 14u), and it was painful to watch... haha.

We are in year three and I often forget what 10u was really like for us and DD. I've created a YouTube page with video clips going all the way back to when DD started in rec. Just to remind her (and me) how far she's come.

Jul 31, 2015
I read it somewhere that you need two pitching coaches: one for speed, the other for spin and spot. But won't it confuse the kid with two coaches? Or you just can't have it all. You either have a coach concentrating on speed or a coach concentrating on spin and spot?

Yeah, two coaches.
One for spin. One for speed.

Not at the same time.

DD and parents will know when it’s time to transition coaches. Take what you need from each, thank them, move on.

Nov 22, 2019
My 11 DD just started 12-U and naturally puts a lot of spin on the ball. She's not a big girl but her fastballs just seem to move. At 10-U, different teams and coaches asked at times if she was throwing screws, curves, rises, and drops, but it was all just her fastball.

At 12-U the movement hasn't changed. Last game her ball was dropping like crazy. But ask her to throw a drop ball, it's probably not happening. So I guess somehow she needs to be taught how to do something she is already doing. It's very weird. I'm was hoping it wouldn't be too difficult to teach her something she already does, but so far it hasn't been easy. I guess it's a good sign she can do it, but eventually she has to learn to do it when she wants to.

We faced a team that struggled hitting her last tourney, and then that team turned around and hit a girl throwing around 57mph pretty hard the next day. My DD's PR is only 51mph.

Feb 24, 2021
I'm glad I read through this post, it put a lot of things into perspective for me as far as my DD and where she is at in her journey. She is just finishing up 1st fall season of 12U so spring will be her 1st year age eligible 12U. First I can say with total confidence that there really aren't a large number of girls her age in this are (NEPA) that are throwing consistent 50+ MPH. We played in some decent sized tournaments over the last few weeks and we saw 1 girl just barely hitting 50. Right now my DD is hitting between 41-44 with her fastball and her CU averages about 8-10 MPH less, she is tall and thin and still learning how to use her length to her advantage but she definitely had some struggles going from the 11" to the 12" ball, not as much with her location mostly with speed and spin which I am now seeing is more common than I thought. We're going to keep working on the proper mechanics which in my opinion is the most important thing for her right now not speaking for anyone else. I've reached out to a member on here that I am hoping I can get my DD some time with and keep her going in the right direction, great discussion here and that's why I love this site!

Jul 16, 2019
Yeah, two coaches.
One for spin. One for speed.

Not at the same time.

DD and parents will know when it’s time to transition coaches. Take what you need from each, thank them, move on.
It is actually really hard to transit from one coach to another. Not to mention how hard it is to find one coach who teaches the correct mechanics, has an opening that fits your schedule, and has a teaching style that fits DD. In the past almost three years, we had seven pitching coaches. I would say maybe there are only two that meet the above criteria.

I really hope that DD never pitched. It is just too difficult to find a good coach.

Jul 31, 2015
It is actually really hard to transit from one coach to another. Not to mention how hard it is to find one coach who teaches the correct mechanics, has an opening that fits your schedule, and has a teaching style that fits DD. In the past almost three years, we had seven pitching coaches. I would say maybe there are only two that meet the above criteria.

I really hope that DD never pitched. It is just too difficult to find a good coach.

Mechanics first. 8U-14U
This will be the primary instruction which lays the foundation for all future efforts: location, pitching strategy, FB, change, maybe one breaking pitch
There are a ton of HE instructors out there.
But for IR, these guys are pretty good: https://fastpitchfoundations.com/

Spin and speed next. 16U+
You'll be able to tell an advanced pitching coach because they will be experienced at working with what they've got, i.e. they won't try to change mechanics much, but will be able to coach spin and break, strength and conditioning, mental aspects, timing, team leadership, etc.

College 18U+
Many Most college pitching coaches try to change mechanics.

You've been forewarned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802