When did you know.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2011
Norcal
First off, I would like to say thanks to everyone for all the great information and discussions on the site. I really enjoy logging in and reading everything!

The big question I have now is......When did you know it was time to move your DD's to travel ball?

My DD is 9 and playing 10U Rec. She really dominated last year at the 8U with her pitching and hitting. She's a very good athlete that likes to play multiple sports. As we have started this year, it's very apparent that she is, by far, the best player on her team. She's pitching lights out and fields very well. In one of my proud Daddy moments, the coach asked her not to throw so hard at the first baseman (I know, I know, teach the 1st baseman to catch instead). Her hitting is marginal but we have really been working on it. The Rec team just doesn't have the pace and workouts to keep her intrigued and challenged. The hesitation I have with looking at TB teams is that I wanted her to get all the pitching experience she can now and I wanted her hitting to come along a little further. My internal debate is whether to have her master these things now or get her on a more competitive team that may accelerate her growth. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback.

Feb 9, 2011
Take her to a tournament and let her watch the girls and keep her there all day so she understands what it takes and the hours needed to play TB. If she can handle that find a good orginazation that wants to COACH kids and not recruit star players.

Do you want to go to the next level "C" class or jump straight into "A/B" teams.

Try first to find a team that has girls she knows to make her more comfortable. Take her to a tryout and make sure they understand her strengths and weeknesses and make clear that you and her are dedicated to playing ball and practicing at a TB level. If you get her in a good program they will teach her how to hit or if she is fast bunting and slapping is really effective.

Alot of girls like my DD pitch alot of rec and "C" class ball and play other positions with their "A/B" team.

Good luck and tell her to keep working hard and sooner or later she will be the starter anywhere. Pitchers are a hot item in 10u and 12u someone will always want her as a starter. My daughter is middle of the road pitching on her "A/B" TB team but our phone rings off the hook right now from "C" teams where she gets to be the superstar pitcher bringing the heat.

May 18, 2009
TB is the best way to go if your DD is playing like that. Does your league have a B team? It's a good way to start. Your DD will be playing with the best of the league. If she dominates that then look at an A team if one is available by you.

Jul 26, 2010
If your daughter is competitive, and she has already decided to focus on one sport, then take her to a tournament, try to spend the day there, and catch a half dozen games or so. See if she likes it, see if she's intimidated or "wants to play like those girls".

If your league has a travel program (these are B teams generally), that's a good place to start.

As for me, my daughter was taking piching lessons at a facility that was owned and run by an A travel team. The more we were there for lessons, the more interested she became in the travel team. She asked if she could do it, so I said sure, lets to go tryouts when they're open next, and she did. The rest is history. I think my point is that you'll know when she asks you to sign her up.

-W

Mar 20, 2011
Norcal
If your daughter is competitive, and she has already decided to focus on one sport, then take her to a tournament, try to spend the day there, and catch a half dozen games or so. See if she likes it, see if she's intimidated or "wants to play like those girls".

-W

Do you think she HAS to be committed to one sport at this time? She's a starting midfielder for her select soccer team during the "off season". I was hoping to put off the sport choosing for a couple more years.

Jul 26, 2010
Do you think she HAS to be committed to one sport at this time? She's a starting midfielder for her select soccer team during the "off season". I was hoping to put off the sport choosing for a couple more years.

If you find a B level team in your area, the season may be more compatible. ASA B teams are only allowed to practice from May and the season ends in August. There is a fall season as well from August to November, but commitment to the fall season is generally not mandatory.

A ball teams have tryouts in December and play through December, so if your daughter also plays on a travel soccer team, you are going to have conflicts, and what most would consider an "insane" schedule for a 9 year old.

-W

Oct 10, 2010
I had felt for a while that my daughter's rec team just wasn't learning and improving from year to year, but the team was made up of girls from her school and she liked being with kids she knew. I had figured we were going to stay put sports-wise, when she suddenly asked if she could play on a competitive softball team too.

I've since heard her tell people that she decided to leave the day she tried to throw out a runner stealing second, only to watch her throw go skipping right over second base and into the outfield because no one had gone to cover the throwdown. It was a pretty memorable play and I guess she'd been brooding about it ever since. She also had been lucky enough to play in an end of the season C tournament, win a game mvp medal and see teams where all the players tried hard and worked together.

It's a huge difference in money and time, but she was really ready for more softball than she had been getting and she's a lot happier playing with her new team.

However, she's the goalie for her B level comp soccer team and we had already committed to the year with them. It's been a real grind.

IMO there's way too much overlap between softball and soccer to play both competitively. Her softball team plays ASA B, so she's only B level in both. It could be even worse, LOL.

If I remember right, the fall sb season started in August and ran through mid November, we took a month and half off, started practicing indoors in January and would have had our first tournament today if the weather had been better. Her soccer team had its fall season from August through late October/early November, started its practices back up a few weeks ago and had its first spring game last weekend. (We said "No" when they asked if we wanted to do the two indoor soccer sessions again this winter.)

She has two practices a week for each sport, is also trying to fit in TKD, choir, student council, and girl scouts, etc., and has very time left to be a kid. She's a high energy child, but even so, she's just gutting it out this spring until she can get back to playing only one sport competitively. She has decided that she prefers softball to soccer and is not going to re-sign with her soccer club this July. I don't know your daughter, but I would suspect that you and she will end up having to choose either softball or soccer. Doing the other sport in a rec league could probably work...

Good luck with whatever you decide, Jaroext!

Mar 20, 2011
Norcal
Thanks for the insight guys.

Ultimately, it's not my decision, it's hers. Hopefully, I dont have to learn about kicking with your toe and slide-tackling. I am much more informed in the softball/baseball world. :) But I will be there either way.

Assuming DD wants to take softball to another level, my question remains:

Master Rec ball for another year....especially with nearly unlimited pitching time available (We don't have any immediate secondary pitchers yet) and work, work, work on her hitting? Or attempt the TB route, anticipating the higher level of play will push her and pay off in these same areas?

Anybody?

Jun 24, 2009
Do you think she will get much better in rec ? Does she like to be challenged ? Do you think her being dominant is good for her ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207