What's your call third time? (video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
That's a good point. Too many people like to argue what they think the rule should be instead of actually taking just a couple of minutes to educate themselves. It would make the bleachers a much better place if people would just keep their mouth shut if they don't know the rules.
Maybe the umpires can have their own music and whenever parents start arguing a call they can just turn it on at the highest level..I'll let @The Man In Blue decide what kind of music should be played ;)

May 29, 2015
That's a good point. Too many people like to argue what they think the rule should be instead of actually taking just a couple of minutes to educate themselves. It would make the bleachers a much better place if people would just keep their mouth shut if they don't know the rules.

I love to take the steam out of a coach looking to argue by starting with “I absolutely 100% agree with you coach.” Then, as his/her looks turns to confusion, I follow with either

“That sounds like a good rule, but that isn’t the rule.”

OR

”If we were playing (insert other organization here) that is their rule. Unfortunately, it’s not the rule for (insert sanction being played here).”

Jun 11, 2013
I imagine as an umpire that it's bad when someone is arguing a close play, but it has to set you off when they are just plain wrong about a rule.

Also it seems like in the stands the ones who don't know the simple rules are always the loudest.

Jun 4, 2019
Looks like interference to me. SS should of kept going to the ball, but the runner clearly affected her ability to make the play.

I have found one issue with most girls is that they are not aggressive enough in those situations. The shortstop just looks like she was trying to avoid contact. That’s the runners job to do that, so it makes it a little confusing.

May 29, 2015
Ahhh, shucks ... that’s so sweet. ;)

I thought maybe I said something in that thread that I didn’t remember.

No personal preference (I’m a talk radio and podcast guy, go figure). I’m just trying to learn the first 60 seconds of the most commonly played songs. That way I can time the 60 seconds between innings without looking at the clock or a watch. 😁

Sep 29, 2014
Given a close play like that it's possible to at least ask for a clarification and make a point but just one of those got to let it go things after that.

Just from the interaction I saw I'm just not sure what the ejection was a about that warranted the umpire chasing down the coach after the inninng. The only reason I'm chasing down some coach into their dugout at the end of the inning is if there is a profanity tossed in my direction. Even if he is still muttering about the call I'm just going to get a drink of water and probably chat with the ump at home plate for a second, sometimes the umpire just needs to move on too, in almost three years of umpiring I never threw anyone out got really close a couple times but I guess my "you are done coach one more word and you are watching from the parking lot" statement was delivered in a manner that they knew I was not bluffing and probably because I was so laid back the other 99% of the time.

May 29, 2015
I would fully expect the coach to come out on a play like this. I would also expect him to not like the call. That’s fine. Not sure what happens after that though, the video doesn’t show us what the ejection was for or even much of the process.

Agreed about “chasing a coach down”. Not good practice and not a good look. If you‘re giving the hook, you give it from where you are. Even if you aren’t, never continue a conversation by moving towards a coach.

Can I offer the PU some advice during this as well? He should have been watching all of this (and his partner) with a keen eye. There were a few times he could have ran interference instead of looking around like he was wearing a VR headset.

One piece of advice for you, @djcarter1966 ... since you mention chatting with the plate umpire ... don’t. If you just had a banger and a confrontation, go stand where you are supposed to stand (in the outfield between 1st and 2nd base). Going up to chat with the plate umpire sends one of two messages after that: either you are complaining/gossiping about the coach or questioning your own call and asking for advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13