We got it/kicked it ... fair/foul ... Out, yes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2009
Florida
There's a certain logic to it. If interference is immediate dead ball and the if the ball is over fair territory when the ball becomes dead, I can understand why you were instructed as you were.
I am curious here. Since interference is an immediate dead ball, how can position of the ball determine fair or foul when it is still in the air. At that point the ball had not satisfied the definition of a foul ball. You did see the result but interference was prior to that. I am thinking runner out, batter/runner placed on first, next batter up.

May 29, 2015
Correct before the clarification language this year, @Carty . The clarification did define that status at that moment. Similar to a ball bounding past third base — it may not touch anything to define fair/foul, it is the location of the ball in the air at that moment. Even if the wind blew it back fair and it landed in fair territory, if it was over foul territory at the interference moment, it is foul.

Despite the language not being there to support a foul ball, we had been calling it this way for a long time.

Jun 20, 2015
the closest i've ever come to getting booted as a coach. i'm coaching 3b. Turf infield with clearly marked base lines. we are losing 6-4, time has expired finish the inning. Our last at bats. lead off (#2batter) gets on. and here's the play on my #3 batter. 1-0 count, inside pitch, 2 hopper down 3b line clearly foul, batter never left box. 3b has toes on the line, leans over and grabs ball easily foul by 18''. throws to 1b. field ump says out. I call time out, ask plate ump on fair or foul ball. She says it was fair because the 3b's feet were in fair territory. and agrees that ball was outside the line when fielded. Therefore fair ball. And then the field ump agreed with her!!!!!

Mind you the batter was already 2-3 on the day with 2 doubles off the RC fence and had a sac fly taken away a homer in this game. and is my DD.

so how does the 6' guy weighing more than a few pounds, argue this with an mid 60's woman umpire that is about 4' tall????? Lets just say, i maintained my cool, said my piece, and remained in the game. And I never go on the field without $100 cash in my pocket to file an official protest again!!!!!!!

We lost 6-5 with tying run at 3b. deep fly ball to left field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802