What's your call third time? (video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Does look like the SS changed her approach to the ball because of the runner. She was charging and then stopped short.

SS makes a nice play at the end of the inning. Not really evidence for these umps and this game, but sort of shows that it's a good SS and probably would have made the play at 1B on the play in question.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Do the runners not have a right to advance directly to the next base? I would think they should be allowed to advance if they are running straight to the base and not making an attempt to interfere. If their is a runner on 1st what is the runner supposed to do? Stand there to let the ball get fielded and get tagged out. I would think she should be allowed to run hard to 3rd.
Now about going behind the fielder???

Jun 22, 2008
Why should the runner be forced to run well out of their way to go behind a fielder? The can by rule pass in front of the fielder, but it then becomes the umpires judgement as to if the fielder interfered or not. I have no idea from the distance and angle this video is taken from how much room the runner left the fielder, but the fielder also needs to do their job and field the ball. It may or may not be interference. The base umpire was right there and had a good view of it and called interference so I will go along with his call. Again, Im not going to say one way or another from this angle and distance.

Jul 22, 2015
Clearly the umpire was right there and had the best angle. The only thing that makes me want to rule in favor of no call is that the fielder seemed to make the conscious decision to stay back and field the ball there. If the fielder wants to field the ball further up (in the runner's path) she has that right, but it she needs to attempt to make the play. If she stays back or runs around the BR and I'm the ump then I assume that's where she wanted to field the ball and the runner didn't interfere with that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee