What's your call third time? (video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Random question.

What would happen in a play like this if the runner ran into the shortstop. Then the shortstop fielded the ball and threw the girl out at first. Can you get a double play on the interference, and out at first? Or is it a dead ball as soon as the interference occurs?

May 29, 2019
I think it's funny when people post a "bad call" video, yet even when zoomed in and played in slow motion you still can't tell if it was really a bad call. I'd put that one in the "just get over it" category.

May 29, 2015
Random question.

What would happen in a play like this if the runner ran into the shortstop. Then the shortstop fielded the ball and threw the girl out at first. Can you get a double play on the interference, and out at first? Or is it a dead ball as soon as the interference occurs?

Once interference occurs it is immediately a dead ball, so the defense could not put out another runner ... HOWEVER, the umpire can award a double play if the umpire felt one was possible.

Dec 18, 2016
I think it's funny when people post a "bad call" video, yet even when zoomed in and played in slow motion you still can't tell if it was really a bad call. I'd put that one in the "just get over it" category.

I chuckled at the statement from the people behind the camera about how the ball didn't hit the girl so it can't be interference. (lol) I was watching a game and a parent came unhinged about a call similar to this. She kept screaming to PU that there wasn't any contact made. I politely commented that there didn't have to be contact made if the umpire felt that the runner interfered with the player making a play on the ball. She wasn't going to have any of that! Kept arguing.....I just shrugged my shoulders and walked off. Very entertaining.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I can't recite the rule as it is written, but if I was coaching and had that called interference I'd be livid.
If that is interference, the rule needs to be changed.

Do the runners not have a right to advance directly to the next base? I would think they should be allowed to advance if they are running straight to the base and not making an attempt to interfere. If their is a runner on 1st what is the runner supposed to do? Stand there to let the ball get fielded and get tagged out. I would think she should be allowed to run hard to 3rd.

... and this is how coaches get thrown out. Getting livid over a rule they haven't bothered to get a basic understanding of. Sorry to use this as an example badmonkey - it is not the only rule out there people get consistently wrong.

- The fielder has right of way to field the ball - so no the runner does not have the absolute right to advance directly to the next base
- Interference doesn't require intent. Intentional interference is going to have possibly more serious consequences.
- The runner needs to allow the fielder to field the ball - they can stop, run around the fielder, retreat, take a wider path, avoid, and so on. Sometimes the choice might suck, but there you go. Sometimes the fielder doesn't make this an easy decision either - but it is not on the fielder.

Is this interference? Not certain either way from this angle. But guess who has a really good angle to make this call - the field umpire. He obviously felt the fielder changed how she was going to field the ball because of the runner so that is his call to make. Don't know what the coach said, but I am guessing he probably deserved to get thrown out. So he probably got that right as well :)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019
... and this is how coaches get thrown out. Getting livid over a rule they haven't bothered to get a basic understanding of. Sorry to use this as an example badmonkey - it is not the only rule out there people get consistently wrong.

- The fielder has right of way to field the ball - so no the runner does not have the absolute right to advance directly to the next base
- Interference doesn't require intent. Intentional interference is going to have possibly more serious consequences.
- The runner needs to allow the fielder to field the ball - they can stop, run around the fielder, retreat, take a wider path, avoid, and so on. Sometimes the choice might suck, but there you go. Sometimes the fielder doesn't make this an easy decision either - but it is not on the fielder.

Is this interference? Not certain either way from this angle. But guess who has a really good angle to make this call - the field umpire. He obviously felt the fielder changed how she was going to field the ball because of the runner so that is his call to make. Don't know what the coach said, but I am guessing he probably deserved to get thrown out. So he probably got that right as well :)
Good thing I don't coach, then. Thanks for the explanation. I think in the four "rules" threads in the day I've been proven wrong in each of them. This place is certainly helpful in developing some perspective.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Good thing I don't coach, then. Thanks for the explanation. I think in the four "rules" threads in the day I've been proven wrong in each of them. This place is certainly helpful in developing some perspective.

At least you are willing to listen and get educated. Most are not - I have given up on Facebook pages for the most part after a 500+ comment thread on a what makes a ball foul.

May 29, 2019
At least you are willing to listen and get educated. Most are not - I have given up on Facebook pages for the most part after a 500+ comment thread on a what makes a ball foul.
That's a good point. Too many people like to argue what they think the rule should be instead of actually taking just a couple of minutes to educate themselves. It would make the bleachers a much better place if people would just keep their mouth shut if they don't know the rules.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478