What's in your coach's bag?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Most coaches have a bag or two*they use to carry various items. Typically, one bag has items such as lineup cards, a clipboard, maybe an eraseable board to post the lineup, a scorebook, pens and pencils and assorted other items. The other bag might carry a glove, an extra ball or two, a stopwatch and maybe a bat.

But after nearly 15 years of coaching, I've found there are a host of other items that can come in handy. Throw them in your bag and, like a Boy Scout, you should be prepared for just about anything.

• Dandelion puller -- This tool comes in handy if you're using the breakaway bases with the thin post. A little dirt gets in there after a slide and the base won't sit right. If there's no ground crew around, the dandelion puller will help you.
  • Resin bag -- On a hot, humid day it can be tough for pitchers to get a good grip on the ball. A resin bag can help keep the pitching hand dry. Some pitchers like them whether it's hot or not because it helps them get a little extra spin on the ball.
  • Towel -- Into ever life a little rain must fall. Every coach should have a towel handy to dry off the ball when it gets wet. Sure beats using your shirt.
  • Duct tape -- You folks from the South know what I'm talking about. Duct tape can fix just about anything. Have a shoe falling apart? Duct tape it. Lineup board blowing around on a windy day? Duct tape it. Water bottle leaking? Duct tape it. Is there anything it can't do?
  • Glove repair kit -- In a perfect world, all your players would take great care of their equipment and inspect it regularly. Doesn't happen. You can't do much about a dented bat, but if a player comes to you with a broken glove what are you going to do? Loan her a glove she's not familiar with? Not good. But if you have a lace pulling kit you can make a quick repair and get her back on her way. Be sure to have some spare lacing just in case it isn't just out but broken.
  • Glove cream -- Ok, so she decides to get a new glove and it's not broken in. You can help get her on her way with a little glove cream. Just remember to do it after the game or practice, not before.
  • Tape measure -- I have been on fields that just didn't quite look right. But unless you can prove the pitching rubber is set too far or too close, or the bases are the wrong distance, you can't get it corrected. A 100' tape measure doesn't take up much room, but it can be a life saver. It's also good for measuring pitching distances during warn-ups, too.
  • Spare batting gloves -- Let's face it -- kids lose things. If one of your hitters loses a batting glove you can come to the rescue with a loaner.
  • Sunscreen -- You need it yourself, but also make sure your players are wearing it. If they don't have any you can loan them yours.
  • Insect repellent -- Shouldn't need it during the day, but if you're playing at dusk, or on a field with lights, you'll be glad you have it.
  • Fold-up jacket or poncho -- When the rain starts you'll want to be protected. After all, you're not 14 anymore.
Those are many of the things in my bag. What's in yours? Did I miss anything? If so, add them to the comments below.

More...

Jul 28, 2008
  • Hair ties
  • Spare chin straps
  • Misc parts for helmets (screws, 1-hole straps, etc)
  • Many extra mechanical pencils with extra lead and erasers

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Over the years I have learned to keep a roll of toilet paper in my bag. Because sometimes dealing with crazy parents the @#$& gets deep. :)

That's a great idea. I ran into the toilet paper issue (not with parents) a couple of weekends ago. Wasn't sure what I was going to do, but fortunately one of the Dads was able to rustle some up out of the girls' bathroom. There was a line for that one, so they passed the word up the line and came up with some. Think I'll throw some in my car so it's available.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No, there is a separate medical kit, but there is a lot of stuff that I haven't used in 30 years - like a bee sting kit.

Hydrogen peroxide will remove a blood stain from a uniform.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Hydrogen peroxide is probably another good thing to purchase. I need to restock the limited med supplies I personally carry, as well as start shopping around for some team stuff for next year. The coaches had always provided it previously... I think the association should do something however. I easily spend $200 a year on BandAids, prewrap, and tape. (That is all I carry in my bat bag) I can only imagine how expensive it is to have all of that crap, at least starting out. A good idea for Fall Ball is to ask the girls to donate some sort of medical supplies. (I just had a light bulb moment) I should have them sign up to bring something along with their sign up fee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00