Whatever happened to maintaining the box??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
One of the commentators at the WCWS gave a demonstration of "inside the ball". They showed a swing clip that they considered to be an ideal swing ... and in my opinion it was a good looking swing with a "tight HPP". Then the commentator demonstrated the concept in slow motion ... and what they demonstrated was very different ... what they demonstrated was having the hands go directly to the ball and then pivoting the barrel around their hands when their hands got extended. The commentator then returned to the video clip and explained that this was what she just demonstrated.

From my perspective, the difference was exactly the difference that Tewks described in his "Barrel To The Ball" video. The announcer took a video clip of a hitter using "barrel to the ball" and then demo'd "hands to the ball".

I do hear the announcers speak favorably of "hands inside the ball" ... but in majority of the swings what I see is what Tewks demonstrates as "barrel to the ball".

I like the barrel to the ball queue. It forces a tight hand pivot point. This move should not be forced though by torquing first in hopes that the hips can grab it. The hand pivot point needs to be reactive, also the hands better be flat and in a strong position (box) or the barrel will be dumped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
TDS, I personally believe having a "tight HPP" is an important trait of a good swing. When I hear the commentators stress the importance of "hands inside the ball", I translate what they mean to be a "tight HPP".

Regarding the 'hip grab' ... I suspect you agree that the hips lead the way.

On the point of the hands ... I personally believe the hands do have a role ... even if all you consider them doing is getting flat. That said, I do view the arms as initially being along for the ride. An army swing is not the objective.

The whole point of the concept of "maintaining the box" is to obtain a "connected swing" ... and that, IMO, is a good objective. You just need to be careful that in developing a connected swing that you don't limit the hitter's ability to effortlessly obtain separation ... therefore the timing and sequence of forming the box is important.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA