What would you like to see in a tournament?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Ahhh. So if what I'm understanding, it's that you may pay $400 for a tournament in your area, but that covers entry fees and umpire fees. Then you pay the gate. I don't think that's unreasonable really at all unless you go like 4 and out (2 pool and 2 bracket). Normal fees around here are like $150 then pay at the plate. It'll run $400-$450 for a weekend
But the responses seem fairly consistent. Good value, good facilities, well organized, good competition, good website. I'd agree. Nothing worse than getting emails right before the tournament that schedules have changed, etc.
in entry and umpire fees if you are winning.

But let's take it a step further. All other things being equal, what could one tournament offer, or one organization offer, that would have you saying, "we are definitely going to go THERE that weekend"? Or that would have you wanting to play primarily for one organization over another? I used to like to play in the USFA tournaments here because the website was easier to navigate...the points system was simpler. Everything was just more convenient and the competition was good.

Most tournaments in our area and surrounding areas have a 4 game guarantee. Some are more ( several have a 5 gg and one has a 7 gg) and others may have fewer such as a 3 gg. Obviously, the larger game guarantee tournaments cost more, such as $550-$750 and the 3 gg run around $350-$425 on average. The 4gg is usually 3 pool play games and single elimination bracket play. The larger ones may be 3 pool play and double elimination or more pool play games and single or double elimination. It all depends on the format the TD decides on.

That said, you know as a TD, sometimes crap happens and for some reason such as too many injuries, a team has to withdraw at the last moment. Now you're scrambling to find another team at the last minute and if if you can't, then you have to make up an entirely new schedule and email it out. It sucks for all concerned but it becomes unavoidable under certain circumstances.

As for reasons that would make us say we HAVE to go there? There are many of them. We like a double elimination tournament and will tend to look for those first if at all possible. They may cost a little more but the families seem to feel it offers a better value for the money. There's nothing worse than struggling during pool play for whatever reason, having an 8 a.m. game the following day for elimination play and taking the drive of shame home by 10 in the morning because the girls haven't had their second pot of Dunkin' Donuts coffee before playing.

Another one in particular comes to mind. A unique feature such as a college coach instructed players clinic the day before, an individual showcase event such as a player combine or a butt load of college coaches and/or scouts attending for those teams that are showcasing.

There's a very unique tournament that is quickly becoming one of the largest in our state at the 14U level. It is so big that it has to use facilities in nearby towns which are typically a 15 minute drive from field to field. All of the facilities are well maintained and the umpiring is exceptional. They also use Tourney Machine to keep everyone updated. The scores are called in immediately and the results are almost posted in real time. Even when it rains, they have plans in place and alternate facilities available to use if necessary. Times are adjusted and sent out via texts and posted on Tourney Machine. It's extremely well organized and I can't remember a weekend where it was called due to weather.

They hold it over the 4th of July weekend. At the main facility, they have a town carnival going on behind the fields all weekend long. On Sunday evening, at the conclusion of the tournament, a huge fireworks display is put on. Between the organization/scheduling, constant website updating, great competition, umpiring, a few rides, food, attractions and fireworks, it's a must go for a 14U team IMO even considering the drives to towns and various facilities between games.

My only complaint would be that some of the outlying fields and facilities don't have temporary fences at 200' so what would normally be a base-clearing homerun often turns into a base-clearing triple. I like my fences.

As for playing certain ABC organization sanctioned tournaments, it all comes down to the umpiring and competition for me. In our state, NSA has the absolute worst umpires and I will play those tourneys as a last resort. USSSA used to be nothing more than rec level teams but had great umpires yet were my distant third choice. Now, they've made huge in-roads with their "grass roots" movement and we will be playing a relatively local tournament under their banner. The others will be mostly ASA because they have the best umpires and good competition and PGF as a second option because the competition is very good but their umpires not quite up to the level of ASA.

That said, 9 miles away in Western Pa, the NSA and USSSA have the best options for umpires and competition IMO and we will be playing several of our tournaments under those banners over there.

It's all in knowing your geographical area and who's strongest where.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The problem is that some tournaments are charging you $400 plus a $150 "Team Gate Fee" that the team must pay in order to play your first game. They reason that $150 divided by 12 parents is a bargain compared to if they just charge "X" per person that comes to the tournament. These tournament directors are acting like they are doing you a favor by making me the middle man to collect their gate fees.

If it's such a bargain that give me a choice in paying the $150 upfront or letting you collect $5 per parent at the door. Otherwise just charge me $550 gate fee included and quit messing around with the split pricing.

It drives me nutty. Tournament directors need to quit doing me favors (gate fees, stay and play) and let the market sort it out.

Travel softball is expensive enough.

Agreed! They should make it optional or get rid of it altogether. A better option would be to offer a weekend pass for $10 or charge $6 gate fee per day as an example. Granted the savings isn't that much but being that everyone likes to save money, many will opt for the weekend pass.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
The 8 AM elimination games, in double elim play, are almost required. I've never heard more complaining than from a team who won two bracket games the day before, and then have to be at the park for 7 AM. But I do get your point...I'm just not sure how to get around it. You run into the same thing with back to back games in the losers bracket. It sucks, but do you make a team who has been winning play back to back? There's just no easy answer to some of this stuff. Lol.

As far as having coaches come...you can certainly get them there as a favor, but even then you have to pay them well to do clinics. As far as them coming to recruit and watch, that's the tough one. They only have 52 days a year to do it. While they will certainly go to showcase events, you're not gonna be able to get them to come watch a regular weekend tourney where there may not be anyone they are interested in. But there are other avenues to pursue there with names that could be a draw that everyone would be happy with. Good ideas!

For those upset with no ice chest rules...I get it. I really do. And maybe a really good thing to have would be to make fruit bowls to sell in concession stands too. I've never seen a tournament do that. But you've got to understand a couple things about that...1. In many cases the parks require in the contract that we keep out all ice chests. So we're just the butts who have to enforce the rule of the park. Ice chests severely cut into concession sales. Like you couldn't even imagine how much. That severely hurts the bottom line of these facilities. 2. In places where the park turns over the concession stands to the hosting team or org, the field rental reflects that in the cost. Having ice chests in the parks will destroy any potential sales. Altough I am speaking of fundraising tournaments where the entry fee is $150 or so. I can see the dismay when the team has to pay $750 to play. At that price, the host could easily make enough money to have no gate, allow ice chests, and pay umpires.

Good discussion folks. Keep it coming!

Jan 31, 2011
Stay to play should be outlawed! Its robbery. But, as a coach you have no choice. Sure complain, but there is a waiting list of teams that will take your spot in a heartbeat. I hate that more than anything else. IF its a showcase, all you can do is suck it up. The big business of softball has found another revenue stream!

Last year, I started doing some high school coaching and I noticed an amenity that was awesome. One of the weekend tourneys went out of their way to treat coaches like kings. In the club house they had a whole spread of outstanding food for coaches. You could come and go as you pleased. We sat there and ate & talked with other coaches and actually relaxed between games. Any tourney in the future I run will have food for coaches and an atmosphere they can enjoy.

Jun 12, 2015
For those upset with no ice chest rules...I get it. I really do. And maybe a really good thing to have would be to make fruit bowls to sell in concession stands too. I've never seen a tournament do that. But you've got to understand a couple things about that...1. In many cases the parks require in the contract that we keep out all ice chests. So we're just the butts who have to enforce the rule of the park. Ice chests severely cut into concession sales. Like you couldn't even imagine how much. That severely hurts the bottom line of these facilities. 2. In places where the park turns over the concession stands to the hosting team or org, the field rental reflects that in the cost. Having ice chests in the parks will destroy any potential sales. Altough I am speaking of fundraising tournaments where the entry fee is $150 or so. I can see the dismay when the team has to pay $750 to play. At that price, the host could easily make enough money to have no gate, allow ice chests, and pay umpires.

At an average tournament we usually buy a few things from the concession stand even with our cooler. We end up wanting something hot or something more substantial or whatever. But when I'm not allowed to bring in a cooler it activates my contrary personality and I refuse to buy a darn thing from the concession stand at that point. I realize most people are probably not that spiteful. lol. But I am.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The 8 AM elimination games, in double elim play, are almost required. I've never heard more complaining than from a team who won two bracket games the day before, and then have to be at the park for 7 AM. But I do get your point...I'm just not sure how to get around it. You run into the same thing with back to back games in the losers bracket. It sucks, but do you make a team who has been winning play back to back? There's just no easy answer to some of this stuff. Lol.

As far as having coaches come...you can certainly get them there as a favor, but even then you have to pay them well to do clinics. As far as them coming to recruit and watch, that's the tough one. They only have 52 days a year to do it. While they will certainly go to showcase events, you're not gonna be able to get them to come watch a regular weekend tourney where there may not be anyone they are interested in. But there are other avenues to pursue there with names that could be a draw that everyone would be happy with. Good ideas!

A couple of things. I understand the need for 8 a.m. games in double elimination play. I also understand them for single elimination play. My point was we prefer a DE tournament because being one and done by 9:30 sucks when your team struggles through pool play and is NOT a morning team whatsoever. As for paying college coaches to be there for a clinic, most tournaments that have this option in our area charge an additional fee per player to attend. $80 seems to be the median price around here right now. The same is true for a combine event. You could easily put together an individual combine event, charge money for it and invite scouts or college coaches.

Another option is to tie your tournament to an established entity that's active in your area. In other words, say Premiere Fastpitch College Recruiting Services (totally made up name) has a college coach taught clinic or an individual college combine in your area. Contact them and see if you could partner up with them. Even if there isn't one in your area, maybe contact the company holding the closest one or possibly, their biggest competitor to see if they're interested.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Nothing is more frustrating than to have your game delayed for an hour or more because of tie-breakers or whatever and to see empty fields around you. Sometimes it seems as though TD's skimp on having umpires available. I've never planned a tournament, so I can't claim to be an expert. But, that makes me absolutely nuts. Oh, and no TP in the Ladies' Room. Someone needs to be checking hourly.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
I never worry about the no cooler rule. I bought a large orange commercial water jug and use it as a cooler. I was stopped once. Told them it was the team water jug. They waved me through. I just happen to have water in bottles, bottles of Gatorade, fresh fruit and snacks in the jug, also. Another parent lined a large ball bucket with foam and put it in a coaches ball jug bag and uses that as a cooler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad