What would you do? Please read

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The previous posters have made some good points. It is not uncommon for a team to want to stay together, exactly as it is. That has its good and bad points, which I will not debate.

Since this is tied to the school district, maybe the best thing is for the twins to suck it up and just do their best. The friendships they develop may be more important in the long run than the games they lose, esp. since they will probably play with a lot of these girls on their HS team.

One local family had an interesting solution to a similar problem: one twin learned to pitch, the other twin learned to catch. This would be the perfect team to try something like this, since the team is so weak in pitching.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
One pitcher isn't going to work for tournaments and everyone involved should have known that at team selection. I don't know the high school athletic rules in your state but it seems odd to me that they won't allow a player from another district or school. That is not a requirement of any of the sanctioning bodies.

Apr 7, 2014
Yes, this is Tourney ball for the School District. They also have league that is a 10 game requirement in the spring( It's a NIGHTMARE). They require Rec League to help fill the teams. We hate it but try to help the district. Fall ball is usually 12 games and 1-2 Tourneys. Spring is 12 game upper league and 9 tourneys. We played 60+ tourney games this spring. Max games in one day was 5. I don't think it will affect them coming but am not sure as 14U is NO guarantee as there are no tryouts you just try to get on a team. No science behind it. And Yes the top 6 players were supposed to be automatics for the Gold. And yes the 2nd rated pitcher should be moving up but is not.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Hate to say this, but to me it sounds like keeping the girls down is probably best for the other team. That doesn't help your team, though.

Seems like the solution is get one of the girls on the gold team to learn to pitch. Or else choose your tournaments differently so there aren't so many games in a day, or such a high competition level where you need an Ace. One pitcher shouldn't be throwing five games in a day, especially at 12U.

I've known plenty of girls who stepped up and pitched for a school team or the like. They had no ambitions on being great HS or college pitchers, but they did it when called upon. A pitcher like that can eat up some innings and you never know - they may like it once they try it.

Apr 7, 2014
Personally, I don't know what a "gold" team is at 12U, unless one of your colors is gold. Just as your DDs have the ability to opt out of the team and go somewhere else, so does this other team. Would you prefer that your organization lose the entire team? Or keep them within the organization and let them stay together? Tough call, but that's reality. Anyone has the ability to go elsewhere if they are not getting what they want/need from a particular organization. Your energies are better spent on things other than this issue at 12U unless your DDs are really exceptional and can play for a good A team somewhere.

Gold is the upper team Purple is middle and black is lower.

Apr 7, 2014
One pitcher isn't going to work for tournaments and everyone involved should have known that at team selection. I don't know the high school athletic rules in your state but it seems odd to me that they won't allow a player from another district or school. That is not a requirement of any of the sanctioning bodies.

I agree. It's a district thing. They are hoping you choose from the pool of girls in the district. They do NOT care weather that child has ever played or not. I guess I should have mentioned that my girls and any of the other girls for that fact really never gelled as a team. All the girls got along fine but never truly gelled into what I was use to seeing. I do want to THANK everyone with their responses!! Thank YOu

Oct 25, 2009
Yes, this is Tourney ball for the School District. They also have league that is a 10 game requirement in the spring( It's a NIGHTMARE). They require Rec League to help fill the teams. We hate it but try to help the district. Fall ball is usually 12 games and 1-2 Tourneys. Spring is 12 game upper league and 9 tourneys. We played 60+ tourney games this spring. Max games in one day was 5. I don't think it will affect them coming but am not sure as 14U is NO guarantee as there are no tryouts you just try to get on a team. No science behind it. And Yes the top 6 players were supposed to be automatics for the Gold. And yes the 2nd rated pitcher should be moving up but is not.

The players not being allowed (required) to move up by the rule that was already in place is totally unfair and leaves you with only one pitcher to try to carry an unfair and unrecommended load.

If you can't successfully appeal the changing of the rule I would at least "borrow" another pitcher if possible. I can't believe that an organization in good conscience would allow this situation to happen.

You don't just throw the pitcher position at any player. The player has to have some experience pitching.

Last edited: