what would umpires consider a bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
DD was slapping in a tourney with two strikes. She was called out for strike three because blue stated he was an NCAA umpire and if the bat crossed the plate it was a strike. That was the first time I have heard that one. Becauase a slapper holding the bat back runs forward the bat will go across the plate with the wrist still locked in place and the bat behind the batter as she runs forward?

Jan 20, 2009
The issue I have with the term is that it doesn't exist. I stick with terms in the book. That's the reason I don't use the term "slap" or "slap hit" unless I am working NCAA. A "push bunt" as you have labeled it is either a hit or a bunt. That's why I stick with the book.

I don't have a problem with that.
EXCEPTION: There are many situations that the book does not document, that are covered in clinics, clarifications and interpretations.

And just to be picky, bunt and hit are apples and oranges. It is either a swing or a bunt; either can result in a hit or an out.

Jun 22, 2010
DD was slapping in a tourney with two strikes. She was called out for strike three because blue stated he was an NCAA umpire and if the bat crossed the plate it was a strike. That was the first time I have heard that one. Becauase a slapper holding the bat back runs forward the bat will go across the plate with the wrist still locked in place and the bat behind the batter as she runs forward?
Here's what NCAA says about checked swings:

Da NCAA Roolz said:
Note: As a general rule, there are four factors when attempting to determine if a batter has swung at the ball or checked the swing: (1) Did she roll her wrists? (2) Did she swing through the ball and bring the bat back or draw the bat back before the pitch arrived? (3) Was the bat out in front of her body? (4) Did she make an attempt to hit/bunt/slap the pitch?
Nothing about crossing the plate.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Thanks that is what I thought. The wife has a 50D camera an she takes pictures and looking at the pictures 1. Her wrists never moved. 2. No 3. No 4. No. She did move the bat over the plate like any slapper does as she runs thru the ball with the bat back behind her. Could the bat make contact with the ball. Yes on inside pitch that was a ball. As Bretman knows I have passed the NFHS and ASA umpire tests and couldn't see anything in my casebook related that covered this.

Jul 6, 2013
If there were two strikes and your batter hit a foul tip, she would be out on strikes no matter what....hands together, hands apart, bunt, swing, slap, wouldn't matter.

Lol. I think he may have been meaning "foul ball" as opposed to "foul tip"...but good call on a technical definition of a phrase to bust some balls. Lol.

Oct 6, 2013
The issue I have with the term is that it doesn't exist. I stick with terms in the book. That's the reason I don't use the term "slap" or "slap hit" unless I am working NCAA. A "push bunt" as you have labeled it is either a hit or a bunt. That's why I stick with the book.

I may be misunderstanding your comment , but want to clarify SLAP HIT is "in the book" very specifically defined in NFHS too.

Source: NFHS Softball Rules

SECTION 51 SLAP HIT
ART. 1 . . . A slap hit is a batted ball (often incorrectly called a "slap bunt") that has been struck with a short, chopping motion rather than with a full swing.
ART. 2 . . . The two most common types of slap hits are:
a. Those in which the batter takes her stance as if to bunt but then either dri-
ves the ball into the ground with a quick, short swing or punches it over the infield.
b. Those in which the batter takes running steps (within the batter's box)
toward the pitcher before making contact with the pitch.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Way too much BS on something so simple.

The problem is caused by people using perceptions as rule or reason to make a call. You want to use that in your head, that is fine, but quote them as part of a rule and you lose the protest.

Regardless of the "tips" people use (bat crossing the plate, wrists "break", hands separated, bat moving forward, backward, sideways, yada, yada, yada), none are relevant. A bunt is an attempt to intentionally tap a ball into the infield. A swing is just what it is, the swinging of the bat. Holding a bat up and/or out with the intent to tap the ball is not "swinging" the bat.

Running forward hold a bat in place is not a swing. Running forward and moving the bat to strike the ball is a swing no matter how short or abbreviated, fast or slow, it may be.

Nov 17, 2010
What about this situation?

OK, exalted umpire members, I've got a situation for you...

Two strikes on the batter. Pitch is high and inside. Batter ducks with the bat near her shoulder and the ball hits it and goes foul. Bat was not moving.

Strike Three? Is this a bunt or a swing? Or something else?

Jun 22, 2008
OK, exalted umpire members, I've got a situation for you...

Two strikes on the batter. Pitch is high and inside. Batter ducks with the bat near her shoulder and the ball hits it and goes foul. Bat was not moving.

Strike Three? Is this a bunt or a swing? Or something else?

Not sure if you are trying to indicate the batter was showing bunt or not with 2 strikes. Regardless, even if she was, trying to get out of the way of a pitch is not longer attempting to bunt the ball and I would have nothing more than a foul ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00