what would umpires consider a bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2013
When do you think most umpires would consider a swing to be a bunt?

We have teams we play that aren't strong hitters. Against stronger pitching, they
will stick the bat in the way of the ball or take minimal swings hoping to make contact
and pressure defences into fielding what are essentially endless bunts.

I'm curious when in practice this would be viewed as bunting. Not really worried about
what the rules say - interested in how it would be called at a 12U championship tournament.

I'm wondering if we see this approach with 2 strikes and the pitch is fouled off,
we should be raising our hands and questioning it.

Jun 22, 2008
Judgement of umpire. I have seen coaches screaming for bunted foul 3rd strike when the girl took a half swing and fouled the ball to the outfield fence. On the other hand I had a girl that simply stuck the bat straight out and then walked forward in the box 3 times in a row and fouled it off all 3 times. Coach was livid when I called her out claiming it was a slap hit. Sorry, but a slap actually requires an attempt to hit the ball, not tap it with the bat.

Mar 2, 2013
A quick synopsis:
1. If you’re not sure call it a Hit.
2. If the bat is moving forward faster than the batter call it a Hit.
3. If there is aggression from the bat to the ball call it a Hit.
4. If there is a driving force with the bat to the ball call it a Hit.
5. If there is a passive placing of the ball from the bat call it a Bunt.
6. If the ball is intentionally tapped slowly with the bat call it a Bunt.
7. If the ball is not swung at but intentionally tapped or placed call it a Bunt.

Jan 20, 2009
A quick synopsis:
1. If you’re not sure call it a Hit.
2. If the bat is moving forward faster than the batter call it a Hit.
3. If there is aggression from the bat to the ball call it a Hit.
4. If there is a driving force with the bat to the ball call it a Hit.
5. If there is a passive placing of the ball from the bat call it a Bunt.
6. If the ball is intentionally tapped slowly with the bat call it a Bunt.
7. If the ball is not swung at but intentionally tapped or placed call it a Bunt.

What about a push-bunt? There would be a couple of discrepancies to your list.

Mar 2, 2013
What about a push-bunt? There would be a couple of discrepancies to your list.

I would disagree. And there is no such thing as a push bunt. I supplied a set of guidelines to help umpires make the best decision based on the actions of the batter.

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
We were told that if the hands were separated on contact, it was a bunt (USSSA). Had a girl called out on strike three (foul tip) running and swinging but hands were not together...called it a bunt.

Jun 22, 2008
We were told that if the hands were separated on contact, it was a bunt (USSSA). Had a girl called out on strike three (foul tip) running and swinging but hands were not together...called it a bunt.

Nothing in the definition of a bunt says anything about hand position on the bat. I beleive it is Louisiana Tech that teaches players to bat with a separated hand technique. I guess by that umpires definition every swing is a bunt attempt then.

Jan 20, 2009
I would disagree. And there is no such thing as a push bunt. I supplied a set of guidelines to help umpires make the best decision based on the actions of the batter.

The guidelines are good ones, not trying to take anything away from that, as long as the readers use them simply as guidelines not as the "only" ways to define a bunt.

But I "deg to biffer" - there is such as thing as a push bunt. It may not be specified in the rules, but it is certainly in the game. It is definitely not a swing, but it applies significant force the ball, which if not fielded would easily reach the outfield grass.

I would add one to your guidelines list:
Batter squares the bat - - - where the bat is nearly motionless as pitch approaches.
Well almost, but some suitable wording to differentiate it from a check swing.

Mar 2, 2013
The guidelines are good ones, not trying to take anything away from that, as long as the readers use them simply as guidelines not as the "only" ways to define a bunt.

But I "deg to biffer" - there is such as thing as a push bunt. It may not be specified in the rules, but it is certainly in the game. It is definitely not a swing, but it applies significant force the ball, which if not fielded would easily reach the outfield grass.

I would add one to your guidelines list:
Batter squares the bat - - - where the bat is nearly motionless as pitch approaches.
Well almost, but some suitable wording to differentiate it from a check swing.

The issue I have with the term is that it doesn't exist. I stick with terms in the book. That's the reason I don't use the term "slap" or "slap hit" unless I am working NCAA. A "push bunt" as you have labeled it is either a hit or a bunt. That's why I stick with the book.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

If there were two strikes and your batter hit a foul tip, she would be out on strikes no matter what....hands together, hands apart, bunt, swing, slap, wouldn't matter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs