What to look for in pitching videos

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is what I look for in pitching videos for "basic" pitching--i.e., fastballs. Boardmember and Amy have a lot of experience in this, and I would love to hear their comments. But, for me, there are like three keys for "basic" pitching (i.e., fastballs).

(1) Circle
(2) Hips
(3) Stride

I. CIRCLE

(A) VIEW OF CIRCLE FROM REAR: PLANE OF CIRCLE

The plane of the circle (when viewed from the rear) should to be straight up and down for maximum efficiency. From the rear, where is the ball at 12? Where is the ball at 6? If they aren't located on the same vertical line, then there is a problem.

This isn't anything radical or strange. If you are sawing a piece of wood, what is the position of your arm relative to the the saw blade? The arm, the wrist, the shoulder, are all in the same plane as the saw blade. Why? So you can deliver the maximum amount of energy to the blade with the least effort. Pitching is the same.

(B) SIDE VIEW OF CIRCLE: BODY POSITION RELATIVE TO BALL POSITION

Take a look at the position of the ball relative to the feet. At 12 (and make sure the ball is at 12, not 11 or 1), the left foot should be off the ground, the right leg should be bent.

Then, check the position of the ball when the left foot first touches down. The left foot should touch down at release.

Also, check out whether the upper body (the torso) is moving forward as the ball goes from 12 to release.

II. HIPS

If the ball is being pulled around the hips, then the path of the ball is a circle. A woman's hips are wider than her shoulders. If the ball is going around her hips, then the ball has to move in an arc around the hips. If the ball moves in an arc, then the pitcher is losing speed.

III. STRIDE

I'm learning from Boardmember about the stride. The stride shows whether the legs are being efficiently used in the pitch. If the stride is screwed up, it means the legs aren't being used efficiently, which means the pitcher is losing speed.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
This is what I look for in pitching videos for "basic" pitching--i.e., fastballs. Boardmember and Amy have a lot of experience in this, and I would love to hear their comments. But, for me, there are like three keys for "basic" pitching (i.e., fastballs).

(1) Circle
(2) Hips
(3) Stride

I. CIRCLE

(A) VIEW OF CIRCLE FROM REAR: PLANE OF CIRCLE

The plane of the circle (when viewed from the rear) should to be straight up and down for maximum efficiency. From the rear, where is the ball at 12? Where is the ball at 6? If they aren't located on the same vertical line, then there is a problem.

This isn't anything radical or strange. If you are sawing a piece of wood, what is the position of your arm relative to the the saw blade? The arm, the wrist, the shoulder, are all in the same plane as the saw blade. Why? So you can deliver the maximum amount of energy to the blade with the least effort. Pitching is the same.

(B) SIDE VIEW OF CIRCLE: BODY POSITION RELATIVE TO BALL POSITION

Take a look at the position of the ball relative to the feet. At 12 (and make sure the ball is at 12, not 11 or 1), the left foot should be off the ground, the right leg should be bent.

Then, check the position of the ball when the left foot first touches down. The left foot should touch down at release.

Also, check out whether the upper body (the torso) is moving forward as the ball goes from 12 to release.

II. HIPS

If the ball is being pulled around the hips, then the path of the ball is a circle. A woman's hips are wider than her shoulders. If the ball is going around her hips, then the ball has to move in an arc around the hips. If the ball moves in an arc, then the pitcher is losing speed.

III. STRIDE

I'm learning from Boardmember about the stride. The stride shows whether the legs are being efficiently used in the pitch. If the stride is screwed up, it means the legs aren't being used efficiently, which means the pitcher is losing speed.

Excellent!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
#4 is release. You can do everything else right and release the ball out in front and it sails away. I use the term "flip at the hip."

We also need to include posture, which we most commonly call "staying back." It seems the hardest for many girls to understand.

Jul 14, 2008
Pretty good stuff......Except.........The stride foot should "touch down" and be "accepting pressure" from 3:00 to release for proper contraction into the powerline and syncage of I/R.........

May 7, 2008
DFW
#4 is release. You can do everything else right and release the ball out in front and it sails away. I use the term "flip at the hip."

We also need to include posture, which we most commonly call "staying back." It seems the hardest for many girls to understand.

In terms of posture as Amy has stated pay attention to what I call the "Booty" dance. Often in young pitchers who hit themselves a lot in the hip, due to premature hip turn, you will see them throw the booty out and lean over because they are afraid of hitting themselves with the ball. The arm will be away from the body when they release. They will never be consistent with their release point in this position. And often they will be pitching around the hip.

I often tell them your not an MTV video dancer. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi