What to do in CO between games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
DD is making her first trip to CO to play next week. We won't be at games all the time. DD and I have an extra day there after her team returns home. What are some must see, must do things while in the area next week?

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I know that Akron Racers and Dallas Charge are playing in Aurora on Wednesday night at 8 p.m.

See the mountains?

Make road trip to Estes Park and see the mansion that Shining was filmed at. There are also horseback riding excursions.

Caves of the Winds in Colorado Springs.

Nov 29, 2009
Rafting on the Colorado River. Rockies Game. I'll bet there's a ton of other touristy things to do.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Rocky Mountain National Park is fantastic. Trail Ridge Road is great.

If you had the time, try to stay a night at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park. It is a great place to spend some time.

Ray

Apr 26, 2015
There is so much to do and see here...depends on what you like.
Rocky Mountain National Park just outside of Estes Park is great - lots of hiking and beautiful sites - not far from Denver. (You may even see some snow!) You could also fit in a visit to the Stanley hotel (as mentioned above where the Shining was filmed - it's right in Estes)
Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs (about 90 minutes south of Denver - beautiful hiking!)
Water World is great fun!
Elitches Amusement park is right in downtown Denver and fun for a smaller amusement park.
You could go to Heritage Square in Golden and ride the Alpine Slide.
If you want to head to the mountains, there is an Adventure park in Breckenridge that has an Alpine Slide, Zip line and small coaster (probably a 2 hr drive depending on traffic and day of the week)
We have great museums...
Cirque du Soleil - Kurios is currently in town
And as mentioned above - river rafting and horseback riding.
So much to do here...

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Head for the mountains! Enjoy the beautiful drive up to Estes Park, play in the snow up on Trail Ridge drive in Rocky Mountain NP, have a burger at Penelopes in EP and browse the gift shops. Head back via the Peak to Peak scenic byway.

PS. Not to burst anyone's bubble but "The Shining" was mostly filmed in England and Oregon, not Estes Park. The Steven King story was inspired by his stay at the Stanley Hotel though.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Depends on what part of CO you're playing in.

North Central - Rocky Mtn NP, Estes Park, Dinosaur Ridge, zip lining, Denver museum of Natural History, Alpine slides, Rockies Baseball, Georgetown train

South Central - Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Great Sand Dunes NP, Royal Gorge

Southwest - 4 corners state boundary, visit Telluride, Mesa Verde NP, Silverton train, AND TRUST ME --> Drive Hwy 550 between Montrose and Durango

Northwest - Dinosaur National Monument, Grand Mesa, Glenwood Caverns Adventure park, Steamboat & Glenwood Springs Hot springs

Always plenty of places to Raft, Hike, Jeep tours, Fly fish etc.

Northeast or Southeast you're screwed. Find a marijuana dispensary or drive west.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
For those of you who will be in the Boulder/Louisville area:

The town of Louisville will have their Friday night street fair on July 3d - this is really fun but also super crowded. You won't be able to park anywhere near downtown, but parking is plentiful starting at about 1/2 mile out. Louisville will be hosting Fireworks this year on July 4th at the Coal Creek Golf Course, festivities will begin at 6 p.m. There is no parking at the golf course. They want you to park at the rec center and take a shuttle, but it is much easier to park at the dirt lot near Monarch K-8 school. The lot runs alongside 88th street and from there it is about a 1/3 mile walk to the golf course on Dillon Rd. Bring bug spray! The golf course is still under some reconstruction from the 2013 flood which destroyed the course. The area is still a little bit wet/buggy. Louisville also has a farmers market on Saturday mornings, as does Boulder. The Boulder market is bigger but more crowded. If you are at Stazio, check out Blackbelly Market. They are on the corner of Conestoga and Arapahoe. Their pecan rolls are about a gazillion calories and are transcendent. (They only make a batch or two and once they sell out, that's it - so get there early if you want a pecan roll!) Ozos coffee, across the street, is fantastic. They share a parking lot with Snarf's, which has great sandwiches. Pica's, a tiny little restaurant which is across from Snarf's tucked in next to Wendy's and a bike shop, has the best pastor tacos around. Efrain's, on the corner of Arapahoe and 61st, is right near Stazio and has a great selection of Mexican food, from cheesy enchiladas to regular old rice and beans - very authentic and hot means hot.

Shout-out to my two favorite craft breweries (purely my own personal favorites): Nighthawk Brewery in Broomfield and Gravity Brewing in Louisville. Gravity is on the corner of Pine and Hwy 42, across the street and slightly south of the Louisville Sports Complex. Beware though - an IPA and their "German Nachos" will pretty much put you in a coma. In Lafayette, I like Front Range Brewing. I've heard good things about Liquid Mechanics, but I've never personally tried their beer.

Highway 36 is undergoing a major construction project, so take back roads or leave extra time if you are traveling into Boulder from Louisville or other surrounding towns.

Have fun everyone and as always pack the sunscreen and drink tons of water!! Feel free to PM me if you are in need of any other specific information regarding Boulder County.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd