What Softball Association Do You Favor?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
We play a lot of USFA ball with that association in control of most of the tournament region in our neck of the woods here in North Louisiana. We have played a couple of USSSA tournaments and one ASA. I'd be interested to hear from others regarding the association they feel runs a better tournament in terms of structure, umpiring, etc.

Feb 16, 2010
Different regions of the country offer different options. Here it is either USSSA or ASA. I prefer the USSSA tourneys myself. In this area they usually have access to the better facilities, and their on-line presence is far better than ASA. Which makes it much easier to research opposing teams and their records. Umpiring is usually a toss up, equally good and bad depending on the day. Tourneys are run equally well, with USSSA getting the nod for not charging gate fees. ASA team entry fees are usually cheaper but charge a gate fee to compensate, which sucks for friends and family who want to come watch a game or two. Most quality teams in the area play a mix of both organizations. So the stronger teams will usually end up playing the same tourneys the same weekend looking for the better competition. Of course some teams will avoid the tougher tourney and play the one with the lesser teams signed up. Over all I prefer the USSSA tourneys, but both both are generally good.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Different regions of the country offer different options. Here it is either USSSA or ASA. I prefer the USSSA tourneys myself. In this area they usually have access to the better facilities, and their on-line presence is far better than ASA. Which makes it much easier to research opposing teams and their records. Umpiring is usually a toss up, equally good and bad depending on the day. Tourneys are run equally well, with USSSA getting the nod for not charging gate fees. ASA team entry fees are usually cheaper but charge a gate fee to compensate, which sucks for friends and family who want to come watch a game or two. Most quality teams in the area play a mix of both organizations. So the stronger teams will usually end up playing the same tourneys the same weekend looking for the better competition. Of course some teams will avoid the tougher tourney and play the one with the lesser teams signed up. Over all I prefer the USSSA tourneys, but both both are generally good.

Diddo. Except that I have never played either without gate fees.

Jul 28, 2008
We will do allot of ASA and NSA regular season tournaments. Next year for nationals, PGF will be priority and ASA will be 2nd choice. Much better weather in Huntington Beach.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
In my opinion they all stink with regards to the amount they charge for tournaments (sanction fee, team fees, roster fees, gate fees, etc..).

There is an independent association where I live that is trying to cut down on the costs (no team fees, tournaments less than $200) but they aren't having any luck in attracting teams.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Here in west TN probably USFA is the top choice, second would be USSSA, third USGF. Very few NSA tourneys. And dead last would be ASA. I do hear ASA is picking up momentum in east TN, obviously they don't have the nut we had here running things.

Gate fees run $4-8, what will really hurt your wallet is high school state championships. $10 a day per person, family of 4 that made it until championship game would spend $200 at the gates. $240 if it went to the "if" game on Saturday.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
South Florida is USSSA first and almost everything is sanctioned in travel ball with them... then some ASA then some other random orgs.

USSSA has a very good online site (are you LISTENING ASA????) and that makes a huge difference as well. Everything is right there and easy to use and find.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
We are about 50/50 ASA and USSSA here. I prefer USSSA simply because of the online access and they way they actually try to regulate A/B/C.

Someone was talking to me about NAFA does anyone know anything about them?

Nov 14, 2011
Our team this year focused more on USSSA than ASA this year. I am in the same area as Quake, and NFP, NSA and USFA aren't an option for us. I prefer USSSA as they do a better job with online organization. The ASA 12U Nationals were just held in my back yard and the ASA did nothing to update the games as they were in progress. The city of Moline did a little on Facebook, but it was really unorganized and hard to follow. USSSA does a much better job in our area. The umpires are a wash as many of the umpires work both ASA and USSSA tournaments.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Most tournaments are run by local groups under a national sanction.

Just because a tournament is ASA or USSSA or any other of the alphabet soup, does not mean you will have the same experience in another area from where you normally play. A large portion of the tournament experience is directly influenced by the local tournament director, not the national sanctioning body.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles