What Shakira can teach you about generating speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Java,

If I am reading that content correctly, you are saying that the throwing side hip coming through from open to about 45 degrees closed, is passive and a result of the landing energy just transferring through the body. Is that a correct read?

No... it's anything but passive. It's a very active response to 3x the body weight. What I was saying is that rotary inertia... as well as sagittal/lateral... is a booger to control. The hips going from openish (I really prefer 60ish) to 45 are simply adjusting to the alignment/resistance the body creates on collision... with the objects receiving the collision. Opposing angles (say... hips vs. stride foot) will create torque in the joints that facilitates this 'realignment'...

I don't know if I'd say Amanda is a shining example of resisting rotary inertia, though... she's pretty rotational into release.... looks like her torso is realigning to the ground force angle she sets with her stride foot.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
No... it's anything but passive. It's a very active response to 3x the body weight. What I was saying is that rotary inertia... as well as sagittal/lateral... is a booger to control. The hips going from openish (I really prefer 60ish) to 45 are simply adjusting to the alignment/resistance the body creates on collision... with the objects receiving the collision. Opposing angles (say... hips vs. stride foot) will create torque in the joints that facilitates this 'realignment'...

I don't know if I'd say Amanda is a shining example of resisting rotary inertia, though... she's pretty rotational into release.... looks like her torso is realigning to the ground force angle she sets with her stride foot.

I agree with what you are saying, I think there is an upstream component that is overlooked though. It is subtle and probably only adds a modest amount to pitch speed but the timing of it indicates that it is BEFORE the plant foot is bearing weight. I guess it could be just the hips making sure they are at an angle such that the impending collision will rotate them closed (if they were perfectly open then the pitcher would bend over sideways at collision), but I think it is more active than that, I think it is an active CONSTANT pulling of the arm via the hip from the open to the close that whips the arm into the collision via an application of force on the arm circle that creates centripetal acceleration prior to full foot plant and prior to adduction and I/R (nowthat is a run on sentence). It does not replace any thinking on any of these topics, it is a way of explaining the forceful opening and closing of the hips that I have seen for so long as part of powerful pitchers' motions.

If you make your arm limp and try to whip your arm in a pitching circle using only your hips rotating from open to about 45 degrees closed you will feel how the hips whip the arm in a leading "hula hoop" like motion. This is the feeling I am referring to.

The only time I have heard this referred to as a valuable point of resistance was in Rick's clip, I have heard all the "slam your hips" BS, but that is really vague and while may have some merit, every time I have seen it taught it is timed at release and at that point it is useless.

In full clips it is hard to isolate the two to three frames I am referring to so I will try to find time to edit one to the moment of truth I am talking about and see if you think the idea has any merit.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
U_Back.gif

U_Front_90.gif

YU.gif

Ueno_UA.gif

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I guess it could be just the hips making sure they are at an angle such that the impending collision will rotate them closed (if they were perfectly open then the pitcher would bend over sideways at collision), but I think it is more active than that, I think it is an active CONSTANT pulling of the arm via the hip from the open to the close that whips the arm into the collision via an application of force on the arm circle that creates centripetal acceleration prior to full foot plant and prior to adduction and I/R (nowthat is a run on sentence).

Geesh... and they say I'm long-winded... ;)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Geesh... and they say I'm long-winded... ;)

after years of having Microsoft act as my copy editor I am both too lazy and too ignorant to post legible information in formats that don't have a good way to double check my writing and make sure I don't make a mistake like writing a run on sentence in either my last post, this one, or most of the posts I will write in the future :)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
YU is like a Microsoft Pitch Check Editor :cool: There is more info written & Canon video of her than any other pitcher. JMHO... Just have to use a google translator.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
here are the frames I am talking about-prior to plant leg bearing weight-throwing hip starts to move...

34yr95x.jpg

equu00.jpg

Why? To align the hips so that the collision allows correct hip rotation or an active pull of the hip to start the acceleration phase down the circle and give a running start into adduction and I/R AND allow correct hip rotation at plant? Maybe there are other possible reasons but these are the only two I can think of for the hip to start rotation prior to plant.

hint: the latter is the correct answer

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'm thinking it happens correctly when, front foot is directed to the target, (like MA in your post & YU in my .gif) and the back foot is comes up straight... Tongue of shoe/cleat to target... JMHO... Java lightly went there with the 60 degree comment. I say its 90... see Donaldson. :cool: And MA & YU have swimlessness

Oh... I"ll go get it for you, because why do anything you can't use for hitting... DD got tired of waiting on her 14 & 16u pose to OTFHR... had to do it herself :cool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NyWNCrxVzPU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now watch it again with volume off... only way to drowned out the other guy.... Wonder why he stands their soooo long w/ foot @ 90 degrees ???.... He talks of leverage???... or angle of heel on back foot, to activate??? the hips

then get that .gif of YU and watch it for 7 mins in a yoga position... no reading, no volume, no feeling anything.... Its your answer & Donaldson. :cool:

In YU's you see her hip correct the foot, if its not @ 90... watch the front foot in the warm-up...In game clip, she lands it 90.... of course, she's warmed up....You can see where I paused the .gif...There is a jerking movement, hip & nutcracker...(an after crack) causing foot to correct. Same thing with hitting... landing front foot and rolling it over @ contact w/ ball...another after crack... LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez