What Shakira can teach you about generating speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Crap... GM and java beat me to it....

Hip action is part of the bigger sequence, or flow of energy--from the ground to the ball, but even more complex.... The body loads, the leg drive and arm extension opens the body and loads, adduction begins, the plant foot plants----then the magic comes with the timing of the arm circle and the whip against the body firming up. The whole process is bind moggling.

The best thing I can suggest is to get out and try this stuff yourselves. Try everything. Feel it. Observe the results. Study slow motion video, try what you see, then think through what you see and feel to validate teachings. As I read through the postings of the likes of Old Man River, Hal Skinner, John Gay, BoardMember, Balswick, Pauly and of course, JS: I see folks who have experienced what they teach and speak from experience, curiosity and a desire to give their kids the best they can give.

Sorry for the ramble...

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Agree that no matter the sport action - developing your core to slow down / brace up is the holy grail to developing great whip. There is a natural back extension (arching) that will take place from about 12 to 9 as the core braces up.

I have a P that will only show this back extension while throwing a change up. Any guesses as to why?

But, do not be mistaken and think creating back extension will brace up the core - all that will do is hurt your back.

Sep 10, 2013
Good point.

DD has been working hard as of late to re-align hips/shoulders.
She has never had any issues with "getting open" with both,
but has always left the hips behind in a more open position through the release zone,
while shoulders rotated more closed.
Classic "disconnection".

Trying to ingrain the inverse (hips leading the motion while shoulders remain in-plane/stay-back),
has been a real struggle; but she has been slowly improving.

As she improves her shoulders/hips "connection", her rear leg position, body angle, release proximity/brush, etc. have all improved similarly.

ditto here!!! DD's has no problem opening but the closing of the hips has been a big issue causing disconnection of the torso. we just watched vidoes from 3 past tournaments and identified what's missing. DD's not closing her hips but instead using her shoulder. bad. it's been a struggle here too, but we've ID'd it and will be working on it.

can shakira help ? :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
those a good examples of hip action in sports Ken. I think they are all the same basically as well. Do you see that FIRST Japanese pitcher as doing the same thing as the others though? I actually think he is a good example of what not to do with the hips going into release. I do not see him actually rotating his throwing side into the pitch at all. The telltale here is the foot position and the natural follow through of the leg. His leg follows through so that it actually goes behind his plant leg and his right leg never I/Rs to a laces to the catcher position as I see in my favorite pitchers. These are the signs of a hip that is adding to power IMO.

here is Adam Folkard-say what you want about his oveall mechanics, you can't argue his speed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez