What pitches to pitch or not to pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2010
PA
Hello!

My daughter just turned 11 years old, throws 52mph, & has 4 pitches she throws with very good acuracy. She has a fastball, change up (a few different styles), drop & drop curve. I've heard from different people the drop & drop curve are pitches an 11 year old shouldn't be throwing because it can hurt her arm; and I've also heard it won't hurt her whatsoever.

The drop curve is still relatively new to her (she picked it up during a clinic while instructors where showing the older girls the pitch), she only throws it during practice, never during a game yet.

Opinions?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Most will tell you that an 11 year old pitcher should only concentrate on mastering the fastball and changeup to the point where she consistently hits her spots. Even if she threw 65 MPH, if you don't know where it's going from one pitch to the next you can't really say she's mastered the fastball. I've even heard Jessica Mendoza say that a HS pitcher only needs a FB and CU.

I see no problem with an 11 year old learning a drop or a movement pitch like a screwball or curve as long as she is being taught proper mechanics. IMHO.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My opinion is that she wouldn't be throwing them enough at 11, to possibly hurt her arm.

She wants to be throwing a FB and then, letting each batter know that she has a CU. "IF" she can hit her spots 90% of the time, she can try a drop ball.

I welcome you to the board. At 11, she is very much a beginning pitcher and there is so much more to learn about the game, than learning so many pitches.

I had a student this week showing me all of her "pitches." It is a good thing that she told me, because they all looked the same. :)

May 25, 2010
I'm the new guy, and I would say fastball and changeup. If she's got the ability to throw a drop ball, let her mix it in occasionally. She can learn a curve or screw, but doesn't really need to work on them a lot. Is she currently playing 10u or 12u?

Oct 14, 2010
PA
Thank you everyone for your replies. She mainly throws her FB & CU during games. She might throw a peel drop if someone is expecting the change (esp. when she gets an 0-2 count).

She has been pitching for 3 years now & she has her corners down 90% of the time. She practices every other day hitting her spots (10 in each corner). Her pitching coach expects her to hit 8-10 of each of her corners FB & CU.

I know speed is nothing if you can't hit your spots. She just started 12U to begin in the spring and has been working with the bigger ball since her tournament season ended. I haven't seen much difference in her pitching mainly because during her coaching sessions her coach has her pitching from farther away for strength, so she is used to the distance & she also uses a weighted ball (which is the 12U size).

She had the experience of playing in the 10U East Pony Nationals this summer which was huge for her. She pitched against some of the best teams, one being Team Michigan. She shut them out until the 6th inning, a bunt overthrow to 1st cost them the game (the overthrow by the catcher to 1st went to outfield fence), a home run on a BUNT? Yes, no backup by the right fielder cost us the game!

I'm excited to see how this season will go, playing 12U. It's going to be a great season!!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
There is a PC in our area of PA in which EVERY student knows how to throw 7 different pitches (none for strikes). My DD does not go to that one.

Also, not to be mean, but in response to this:
She pitched against some of the best teams, one being Team Michigan. She shut them out until the 6th inning, a bunt overthrow to 1st cost them the game (the overthrow by the catcher to 1st went to outfield fence), a home run on a BUNT? Yes, no backup by the right fielder cost us the game!

The 10U Eastern PONY champion, Team Michigan, went undefeated in Wilmington, and none of their wins were as close as the quote above might suggest. Just wondering how a right fielder not backing up a throw costs a team a game in which the final score is not really close.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
The 10U Eastern PONY champion, Team Michigan, went undefeated in Wilmington, and none of their wins were as close as the quote above might suggest. Just wondering how a right fielder not backing up a throw costs a team a game in which the final score is not really close.

Another reason why this is a great site, its members are not afraid to flush out the potential BS (sluggers don't sanction me) and challenge posts that are questionable or do not make softball sense.

May 25, 2010
Dang, good point, guys. I didn't even pay attention to the numbers, but you're right.

I've got an advanced 8-year-old and although she has hit 40, her fastest pitches are generally around 35. I just don't think she's going to see a 50% increase by the time she's 10-11yo and I strongly suspect her 2 pitches at that time will be fastball and sorta fastball.

Troll got me!

Oct 14, 2010
PA
You are correct Team Michigan went undeafted @ the Pony champions. They were a hell of team to play against. After that overthrow to 1st, the team came un-glued and gave up. We lost 8-1 to Michigan and finished in 9th place (tying with 3 other teams I think) losing to NY. Which by no means is nothing to hang their head down about. I do believe their were 22 10U teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g