What motivates your DD?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My dd hates losing. She likes winning fine, not overly excited about it, but she shuts down every loss. She doesn't get on team mates or anything, but she stops talking to them too. Just wants to be left alone. Dw and I try to keep her up beat, doesnt work. She just stops talking. We played dbl header this weekend, she had a dbl, two singles, and walked twice. Caught both games, looked like an allstar. We lose 2nd of two, she doesn't want to talk for an hour.

A parent said last year year after a loss, "we are all going to stop for frozen yogurt, if you guys want to meet us.". Dd, before I have a chance to answer, "ice cream is for game winners", and walks off.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
DD#1 (lettered in softball) loved pitching. Striking out batters was heaven for her. She preferred her team won, because that meant she got to pitch more. To her, pitching is an art. To paraphrase Norman Maclean, if she had her way, no batter would ever be dishonored by being struck out by a someone who didn't know how to pitch.

DD#2 (lettered in water polo) simply wanted to be on a team. She didn't care if she played or not, but she cared very much that she was on the team.

DD#3 (lettered in softball, track, basketball, tennis) loved competition. "Beating" the competition was her number 1 priority--she didn't care if it was pretty or not. She just wanted to win. The downside: She was a very good athlete, so could easily find another sport to play in the off-season rather than practice.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My dd hates losing. She likes winning fine, not overly excited about it, but she shuts down every loss. She doesn't get on team mates or anything, but she stops talking to them too. Just wants to be left alone. Dw and I try to keep her up beat, doesnt work. She just stops talking. We played dbl header this weekend, she had a dbl, two singles, and walked twice. Caught both games, looked like an allstar. We lose 2nd of two, she doesn't want to talk for an hour.

A parent said last year year after a loss, "we are all going to stop for frozen yogurt, if you guys want to meet us.". Dd, before I have a chance to answer, "ice cream is for game winners", and walks off.

Are we sharing a daughter? :)

Mine is a very gracious winner and very gracious loser to everyone after the game but the losing just burns deep inside her. I was the same.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
DD loves to practice and get better. She watches the bigger girls and wants to be one of them. I also think she likes to play great just to shut me up.

Apr 1, 2010
My dd hates losing.

Mine too. She was mad this weekend. They got to the championship game, but lost. I tried telling her they got farther than everyone else, but she didn't want to hear it. She wanted to rant about the plate umpire's erratic strike zone. :) Luckily for DH, we have an hour-long drive, plus we stopped to eat some fried chicken, and she was happy again by the time we got home.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I really don't know. Never really thought about it. She has played just about every sport she has had an opportunity to play. I know she loves the competition, and works hard at practice. But I don't know what really fuels her fire.

Mar 8, 2012
For my DD it's competition. In kindergarten she participated in track & field day. Her teacher comes up to DW afterwards "I never realized how competitive DD is". I guess she got a little heated that someone left early at the start of the potato sack race.

That and proving to everyone how much they underestimate her. She's a good 3 inches shorter and 20lbs lighter than the rest of her teammates. As a slapper, she'll smile as the opposing coach brings the entire D into the infield, and then proceed to put it out of reach. She was told she was too small to catch or pitch. She proceeded to beat out 2 much more experienced catchers, and also became a formidable pitcher (thankfully she dropped pitching).

Apr 15, 2012
DD absolutely LOVES competition but I think she secretly strives for the metals and trophies...lol

Jan 15, 2009
Used to be ice cream. Mom made the mistake of offering up DQ for a double to DD when she was 11 and she cashed in on next at bat with a triple and started asking if she could get a larger ice cream treat for a bigger hit. Right now she's a senior in the last 8 weeks of her softball career and she wants to go out with a bang in the worst way. On her own without prompting from the old man went to the batting cage last night after team practice to get in extra cuts to feel "right" for today's game. Last week she was in the ER at 4am with what she described as the worst pain ever, about 7am she passed a kidney stone. I told her she could take the day off if she wanted to, she gutted it out and went to school so she would be eligible that night to play. Went 2 for 3 with an RBI double in a 3-1 loss. I was happy for her success at the plate but extremely proud that after being offered an easy way out, she wanted to help her team more than she wanted a day off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1