What matters more (if the plan is to play in college), travel ball or HS ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
National-level TB is like an SAT score: it can provide an objective measure of performance, cutting across geography, coaching, rules, and regional differences that would otherwise make comparisons between HS players difficult. High school ball is more like the local grades (A,B,C,D,F) assigned by teachers: there's lots of merit to them, but the backdrop is more uncertain and criteria are more uneven.

Neither is perfect.

But TB is a must if your DD wants to play in college.

Also,

not sure what age your DD is, but I suggest once she gets to 14U the two of you make a list of colleges that interest her and talk with her TB coaches about what level of play they think would be appropriate. Hopefully, there will be good overlap.

Let us know how it goes! Thanks for taking the time to write in.

My DD is still only 8 lol
This was more for my knowledge because I like to know the process of things. I'm very green to all of this.
We are in Florida so I'd assume most of the HS teams are at least decent. I grew up and played baseball in NYC so I know there can be terrible baseball and softball teams at high schools. My educated guess was that travel ball probably meant more. I know we also have tons of camps that I always see advertised. They always say that reps from many colleges will be there.

I've been reading through this board lately and have come across a few eye opening things. Everything from D3 colleges to the best chairs for tournaments :geek:

Jul 31, 2015
My DD is still only 8 lol
This was more for my knowledge because I like to know the process of things. I'm very green to all of this.
We are in Florida so I'd assume most of the HS teams are at least decent. I grew up and played baseball in NYC so I know there can be terrible baseball and softball teams at high schools. My educated guess was that travel ball probably meant more. I know we also have tons of camps that I always see advertised. They always say that reps from many colleges will be there.

I've been reading through this board lately and have come across a few eye opening things. Everything from D3 colleges to the best chairs for tournaments :geek:

Awesome! It is important to have a proper chair. 😂

Enjoy the ride. It goes by very very quickly.

Mar 28, 2020
I don't know softball very well, but I got basketball down. The college coaches are playing the same time the high schools are playing therefor making it difficult to scout.

Coaches have more time and availability to scout during travel season. I would imagine its the same for softball. I know when my daughters were recruited-- travel ball got them recruited but their bio was all about the high school. In many cases good travel ball player translates into a multiple year all district high school player

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When looking at the college Bios, the information listed is dependent on the program. Some are very basic only listing a few items of interest, other list everything with info on siblings, where family members played collegiate sports, TB highlights, and some list nothing such as NAIA and Jucos teams.

May 16, 2016
8u already thinking about college ball? :D

High School ball should be part of your journey towards college... as will travel ball. If your DD loves the game, she will want to play for her High School.

Jun 11, 2012
Travel ball is definitely what most coaches follow since for many high schools their seasons overlap.
DD’s college coach followed her HS team because we’re a close distance to the college but I don’t think she went to any games.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
8u already thinking about college ball? :D

High School ball should be part of your journey towards college... as will travel ball. If your DD loves the game, she will want to play for her High School.

Id agree with this. For my DD....it’s very important to her to play for the school. It will be a piece of her journey. But school ball is also bigger here and competitive. In Spring (Jr High season here)...12u leagues/tournaments are basically made up of 10u kids playing up or girls who didn’t make a school team.

The JH season is actually kind of neat because DD will play with some of the top players from other TB teams she normally plays against during the year.

We also have so many colleges inside a couple hours drive that (to me) it seems High School stats/records may mean a little more. Admittedly they won’t mean as much to out of area colleges. But we have everything from NIAI up to D1 all within the immediate area.

Nov 18, 2013
I saw coaches at several HS games. It didn’t matter that their seasons were going on. They play weekends and we played week days so not much of a conflict for local colleges.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd