What matters more (if the plan is to play in college), travel ball or HS ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
It seems from what I could gather online, that travel ball is talked about much more than HS ball. Is travel ball better quality? I'd love to hear from the experts.

Aug 10, 2020
Maybe in some areas of the country, HS ball might help you get into college. In our area (New England), no way, you need to be on travel ball team if your aim is to play in college.

Jul 31, 2015
National-level TB is like an SAT score: it can provide an objective measure of performance, cutting across geography, coaching, rules, and regional differences that would otherwise make comparisons between HS players difficult. High school ball is more like the local grades (A,B,C,D,F) assigned by teachers: there's lots of merit to them, but the backdrop is more uncertain and criteria are more uneven.

Neither is perfect.

But TB is a must if your DD wants to play in college.

Also,

not sure what age your DD is, but I suggest once she gets to 14U the two of you make a list of colleges that interest her and talk with her TB coaches about what level of play they think would be appropriate. Hopefully, there will be good overlap.

Let us know how it goes! Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Last edited:

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I was watching an SEC game and the announcer mentioned "so and so player played high-level travel ball" prior to playing in the SEC. I thought to myself, you think?! I doubt there are many players straight out of rec-ball playing in the SEC. LOL

Anyway, I hope that answered your question.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
It’s funny that all the roster bios I read still feature HS and always have like 1 sentence about TB...”Kaliegh was 4 time All-Conference and 2 time All State at Washington High where she batted .890 and pitched the Generals to a 41-1 record in four years. She also played travel ball for the Bandits.”

I know they value the TB more (usually), it’s just not reflected in the bios yet.

May 27, 2013
It’s funny that all the roster bios I read still feature HS and always have like 1 sentence about TB...”Kaliegh was 4 time All-Conference and 2 time All State at Washington High where she batted .890 and pitched the Generals to a 41-1 record in four years. She also played travel ball for the Bandits.”

I know they value the TB more (usually), it’s just not reflected in the bios yet.

The only time I’ve really seen TB mentioned in the bio more than just the club name is if they‘ve won at PGF or another high level national tourney. You won’t see “Took 1st at USSSA Nationals.“

IMO, it’s the TB play and competition that helps the player win the HS accolades.

Oct 10, 2018
I would say it depends on the strength of your HS's team. If they are good give them priority during school season so the team gets to regionals and beyond, And, even if they are not so great play anyway for the reps and fun of playing with schoolmates but balance her attention if the TB team didn't have to "go dark" during the HS season. JMHO

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Softball sucks at some high schools, but can be a travel ball all-star team at others. I've seen lots of player bios from Div 1 teams that listed HS accomplishments, but gave little to no mention of travel ball. Being recognized as "All-City" or "All-State" in a competitive HS program is a nice add for a resume. That's not to say that travel ball isn't vital; there is little chance a player will be good enough to make a larger HS program without learning the game some place else, much less get their name in the paper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet