What makes a good softball parent?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
Cheer for team, keep mouth shut about everything else. Don't embarass team, badmouth anyone, comlain about
playing time,etc. Treat all the girls like thrir own, help with team needs. Be sober.

Great responses. I like the comment of "don't embarrass the team"...We played a team at the end of the season in a big event that beat us soundly earlier in the year. Before our game at the concession stand one of their parent was looking at the bracket and said "once we beat that purple team again, we will be in the championship game." We beat them 9-0 in the semi's...

Don't ever open your mouth and give another coach a motivational tool! Eating crow should never happen if you keep your mouth shut.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Be sober.

Really? This is a problem? I may be naive here but I never have seen this to be a problem where I'm from (Ohio). I really find this shocking.

As far as getting involved with team affairs, I only get involved at the request of my DD. If she doesn't want me to be involved, I stay away. I've been given permission to keep book this summer. I guess I behave... Lol.

I do take her to her lessons with the catching coach and batting coach. And she will ask if I'm seeing anything if she's having an off day. But other than that I'm pretty much hands off.

Feb 17, 2011
I would say a good softball parent has the same qualities as a good parent.

A parent who raises their child to be thoughtful (listen, think, analyze, act), respectful (of self, peers, and teachers/coach/parents), punctual, responsible, and willing to rise to a challenge is perfect in my book.

The problem parents are the ones who raise their children with a sense of entitlement (rewards for participation, assuming privilege, ect), disrespect of others, and not responsible for their own actions (overprotective parent).

No parent is perfect, including myself, but I think those are the qualities good parents are mindful of, both on the good side and bad side, and when confronted with the choice, the better parents choose the good qualities the majority of the time.

-W

"like" what star said

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
1. Parents that have their player arrive at practice/games 5 minutes earlier than requested.
2. Parents who send in thei requested checks the day the payment notice arrives.
3. Parents who who bring an extra chair/water/snack in case someone forgot or runs short.
4. Parents that watch the games played and cheer for all outstanding play, regardless of team.
5. parents that don't gossip.
6. Parents that pitch in to help, if asked, and want nothing in return.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
A good softball parent.
Plays catch with his kid at home. Plays catcher if dd is a pitcher.
Teaches her how to break in a glove.
Makes sure she has something to drink, before the game starts.
Gets the DD to the game 15 minutes before the coach wants her there, so she has time to change shoes, chat with Megan... and be ready on time.
Sit in the stands and enthusiastically watch the game. Cheer on all the girls, when the catcher blocks a bad pitch tell her good job, especially if your girl is the pitcher.
Know all the girls on the team, by name and nickname. Use this knowledge often. (Great catch A-rod...)
Don't wait for other parents to tell you what a great game your girl had, find another parent and tell her how proud you are of their daughter.
Help organize the next tournament BBQ or the end of year team party.
Let your girl carry her own gear, help with the team stuff.
Play more catch with your daughter.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Really? This is a problem? I may be naive here but I never have seen this to be a problem where I'm from (Ohio). I really find this shocking.

Occasionally come across a few parents who like a little more than the rest. Not necessarily out of control, just not exactly setting great example for the kids either. Hard to impress on kids why they cant drink, shouldnt drink, how bad alcohol is, etc. when a few parents get liquored up in the parking lot. Heck some even have to have their DDs drive them back to the hotel.(rightly so, maybe that is a good lesson)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck