What makes a good catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, Catcher A understands the game better. her catching coach drills her on scenarios from what I understand. She calls the pitch and sets up to where she calls it. She barks out the number of outs to the defense, etc. Very hard worker...vocal..but humble. Catcher B plays hard...but can be lazy with technique. She tries to get by with athleticism. Both really play hard. From my perspective Catcher A seems to know more.

Catcher A is my starter until Catcher B reaches A's level of game knowledge and leadership.

May 12, 2014
well, a part I left off...on purpose...is catcher B is the HC's DD. B is our number 1. But, when I watch both play I always leaned towards Catcher A. But, I don't know much. She just seemed to be in control.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
well, a part I left off...on purpose...is catcher B is the HC's DD. B is our number 1. But, when I watch both play I always leaned towards Catcher A. But, I don't know much. She just seemed to be in control.

Your instincts are good.

May 12, 2014
This board has helped with that! I almost feel bad for catcher A. Catcher B catches all of the big games....Catcher A catches league and the non number 1 pitchers. Kid just keep smiling and working. But, my feelings, is that she's fighting a fight that she can't win.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
I would think it would be Catcher A as well. Even if Catcher B has a strong arm good base runners are stealing on the pitcher just as much as the catcher. Knowing game/batter situation and what pitch to call in a steal situation is as important as being to throw a laser beam. If Catcher A is working more in sync with the pitcher they can combine to cut down on steals. It doesn't matter how strong Catcher B's arm is if the ball is on the backstop with runners on base. Field presence, pitcher confidence and ability to block are the most critical aspects I think (assuming a decent ability to keep runners honest).

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Even if you don't know the first thing about how to evaluate a catcher's skill set, it is very simple to evaluate your catchers. A good catcher makes the pitcher better. Pair a good pitcher with an average catcher and the catcher looks fine, but pair a good pitcher with a good catcher and the pitcher looks great.

Bastardizing the old golf analogy and applying it to catchers - Throw for show, block for dough.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
M2C.... In younger ages 1oU catching is about athleticism. Athleticism allows to teach blocking and fast response times on passed balls which are inevitable with young pitchers who are learning. As the players age up command of the game matters most. I think command comes from great receiving skills, throwing accuracy and strength, game knowledge and awareness, ability to bond with the pitcher and umpire then blocking..... Remember a passed ball and a wild pitch are issues for the pitcher. If a catcher can stop some of them awesome. However far too often people are blaming the catcher for this and in reality the pitcher is the one throwing the pitch and missing the spot. Blocking is a balance of things.... Pitchers need to bear down and work hard to hit spots and catchers need to be alert to help the pitcher by making the occasional block to keep the rare pitch that is not on point in front of them that can happen. It takes team work between to two. If a catcher is having to block so often that the focus is on her blocking ability then I think the point is missed. I also find the blocking gets better the more comfortable a catcher and pitcher become as a unit. Kind of like a QB and a Wide Receiver in Football getting their timing down on routes.

Sep 9, 2015
In my opinion, coaches tend to favor the catcher that can block the ball consistently. Keeping the runner from scoring from third is a big deal. Also confidence in the catcher's blocking ability will allow low pitches and change ups to be called with runners on or dropped third strike situations. Opposing teams can alter their base running strategy to minimize the effect of a strong throw down but everyone will take a free base on a passed ball.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish